rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I have the full Faultmate diagnostics for the p38 including being able to unlock and clone BECM's.
I have had the kit for 10 years+ and used it quite a bit for one thing and another, though to be honest I have not really made full use of the BECM module.

I unlocked and cloned I think 3 BECM's as spares for my car when I first got it, however, I was put off a bit because getting access to the CPU on the logic board involves soldering fine wires onto microscopic components on the pcb. Soldering is a nightmare for me, as electronics is not my thing, not helped by failing eyesight. Though having said that I have recently bought a magnifying headset and better soldering equipment which helps me a lot.

I built a test jig out of acrylic sheet a while back (the mk1 version) but it was not really a viable method and didn't work properly. Because the weather has been so crap over the last few weeks (months?) I have used the time to build a mk2 version using new spring loaded test pins. I also used a new laser cutter that I recently bought to cut out the jig. After more than a dozen revisions I might add, it now works. It is still work in progress and needs a few improvements but soldering is no longer required. I have unlocked and played around with a further 3 this week.

I can now start to offer a service to forum members who are interested. It will be strictly one at a time and there will be restrictions on the type of BECM I can initially unlock. There are two versions of the logic board. I am set up to do version 2. Later BECM's that start YWC ......... should be ok.

pm me if interested.

If you are connecting to the pins on the BECM CPU chip itself, then there's no difference to the version 1/2 - the difference in versions is some of the outboard components.

I have a chip socket which is on a piece of PCB, which allows me to have wire connections to the pins required on the BECM CPU. Generally I have to remove some of the lacquer over the BECM CPU chip as it's on pretty thick and I won't get a decent connection otherwise, but it's also handy to be able to do it without soldering... You have to press down a bit on some boards to get a good connection, but once the programming is done, I just spray some fresh PCB lacquer over and presto.

Nice on the laser cutter etc - I keep thinking about getting one, but I want one ideally that can cut through thin alloy, but they're a lot more expensive!!

Cheers,
Marty