rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

OK I know this is a P38 forum.

Had a customer the other day with a 3.5 Disco, came in unable to run on LPG and didn;'t run great on petrol either. Sorted a few probs with the open loop mixer LPG system (needed new switch which wasn't seeing RPM so never turned gas on) and then fixed the bodged pipe between reducer and mixer and set it up a lot better.

But, he'd messed up ignition timing before he came. So, questions are - Anyone know static advance? Anything to know about timing marks on the front pulley? Likely to be any probs in the dizzy? He has his own timing light and wants to do it himself but I'd hazard a guess he'll be asking me the above questions at some point.

Simon

All my 3.5 manuals are over in the workshop Simon, but if no-one here has the info to hand, I should be able to let you have the numbers tomorrow

Simon, are you sure it's a 3.5? The Disco only came with the 3.9 engine and fuel injection whereas the 3.5 fitted to the early Range Rover had carbs. Static advance on the 3.5 is 3 or 5 degrees depending on the exact spec of the engine (which seems to vary with what carbs are fitted), the 3.9 timing is 2 degrees for the low compression without cats, 4 degrees for high compression without cats and 5 degrees for high compression with cats. All are checked at 800 rpm with the vacuum disconnected.

I'm pretty sure, almost certain, that the other half's old Disco 1 was a 3.5, but time may have dimmed my memory.

The Classic got the 3.9 from 89 onwards but I didn't think the Disco came out any earlier than that. However, Wikipedia says that the Disco came out in 89 and got the 3.5 engine on carbs for the first year and kept the 3.5 engine with injection until getting the 3.9 in 1994. Presumably they had some 3.5 motors left over so bunged them in the Disco after they'd stopped putting them in the Classic.

But either way, the timing wants to be about 4 degrees give or take a degree......

As Gilbertd says, 5 degrees BTDC, it's in the owner's manual which is in RAVE.