rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Well the gearbox is sorted now new problems !
The 2 are un related I know and I have a few ideas just want some input please.

As far as running goes NGK plugs fitted 3 K ago, new leads and coils ( new delphi )on idle she sound and feels a bit lumpy and when driving especially cold it feels like a miss when warm it goes away abit (after 10 miles on the motorway ) but she seems to be lacking torque in lock up and likes to kick down...never did before, at hills she seems to need an extra push where before she flew up, same on gas and petrol no change, new Champions ordered and thinking of changing the Maf...right route ? also what gap shall I do on the plugs ?

Now the ramble or whatever it is.......on a quick take off or braking there seems to be a click think its from the rear end, if you kick her down there is a rumble from the rear..not nice but running there is no vibration and the rear mirror is stable ( normally if the rear diff is on the way out this tends to vibrate.....mind it is a P38 ! )

I am thinking prop or joint maybe ? just this clicking is throwing me out.

Mind my mates L322 he did a valve block and RHS to last week wont reset or go up or down so he is off to the stealers monday ! so this time I have the right end I hope !

My experience has always been that Champions cause misfires rather than cure them and haven't used anything but NGK for years in everything. I normally leave the plugs at standard gap but some have found gapping them down to 0.7mm (25 thou in old money) has made a difference. It does sound like you have one cylinder that is missing, see what the plugs look like, that may give a clue if one looks different to the others. That or try pulling a lead at a time with it at idle and see which one makes no difference.

Noise from the rear may well be a propshaft UJ although diff isn't out of the question. Checking the UJs with the prop in place isn't easy but if you have any up and down movement in the diff input then the nose bearing is the problem.

Yes I have seen many different posts on plugs.........I just had an NGK iridium snap in my bike head and I have had problems with the old Champions just breaking down on brand new sets before, It does feel like a cylinder that is miss firing but not all the time ! if only it was easy a !!!

I've got a click from the back when going from forward to reverse and vice versa, which apparently is down to the rivets in the rear swingarm working loose. Apparently "they all do that sir" and short of taking the arm off, drilling out the rivets, and replacing them with high-tensile bolts there's not a lot to do about it.

gordonjcp wrote:

I've got a click from the back when going from forward to reverse and vice versa, which apparently is down to the rivets in the rear swingarm working loose. Apparently "they all do that sir" and short of taking the arm off, drilling out the rivets, and replacing them with high-tensile bolts there's not a lot to do about it.

Dont know if anyone has seen the 13 plate evoke posts where it needs a new engine and landrovers response is "well you had good use out of it" !
Great a.

The most worrying is the loudish rumble when shes kicked down hard from the rear end.