rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Well folks, as the title asks, is it possible? Are there any additional physical components required?

Just musing more than anything at the moment but as I live on the edge of the Salisbury Plain the musings might develop into something in the future if it is viable.

Early ones have two wheel traction control (rear wheels only), later ones have 4 wheel traction control but I wasn't aware of any that didn't have it at all. Ones with 2 wheel TC can be upgraded to 4 wheel by swapping the ABS modulator and ECU.

There were some early P38's that didn't have TC at all,

2 Wheel TC on the rear wheels was pretty standard, and then 4 wheel TC from '99 onwards.

As Gilbertd says, you can swap bits over, but I think that it's more than the ECU and modulator - you would also need to redo the wiring loom, as the connectors between the earlier/later ECU's are different, and there are more wires to the modulator block aswell from memory. Not a simple plug and play replacement sadly, but not impossible

Mine doesn't have traction control, it's a 1995 model.

I'm interested in fitting the four wheel version at some point.

Gilbertd wrote:

Early ones have two wheel traction control (rear wheels only), later ones have 4 wheel traction control but I wasn't aware of any that didn't have it at all. Ones with 2 wheel TC can be upgraded to 4 wheel by swapping the ABS modulator and ECU.

Are the front hubs etc the same then? I'd have thought that the hubs would be different on 4 wheel TC vehicles to accommodate the sensors and exciter rings.

RutlandRover wrote:

Are the front hubs etc the same then? I'd have thought that the hubs would be different on 4 wheel TC vehicles to accommodate the sensors and exciter rings.

Same hubs etc- they use the existing ABS sensors for information

That makes sense. For some reason my mind assumed that vehicles without TC also lacked ABS.

Mine doesn't have ETC and being GEMS is old enough to have had two-wheel but not four-wheel ETC. If your ABS block is ANR2238 it's non-ETC, ANR2239 is two-wheel ETC and that appears to be the only difference between the two.

Mine's early '95 and the Nanocom tells me it's got 4-wheel TC?