rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hello,
Bought a 2003 LR Discovery (2? II?--not familiar with them) rear view mirror with Home Link & Compass from a breaker yard (for $5--amazing, I know). My Rangie has the Home Link above the driver's door (LHD, looks like a garage door opener clicker--pretty ugly).

Unplugged my 2002 P38A HSE's rear view mirror and plugged in the Disco's (plastic plug-in matched exactly) and the Compass worked (i.e., I left the P38A rear view mirror in situ and plugged the Disco's into it's connector, turned key to position 2). I have never noticed the auto-dim feature on my Rig before. I can't tell you if it worked before or not. It was daytime today when I connected the Disco's up.

The problem is the mount for the Disco mirror to the windscreen. The Disco's 2 tab clip did not match the P38A's (3 tabs). You can unscrew the Torx head screw and prise out the Disco clip to exchange, but the P38's clip has 2 rivets holding it in place. I took my P38A mirror apart and there appears to be a ring circlip holding the ball-socket together. Is this the case?

I thought about drilling out the rivets and drilling a hole to attach the P38A's 3 tabs clip to the Disco setup. I thought about swapping out the ball-socket mountings. Before going further I wanted to check here for advice. I now have my original back together and on the Rig.

One last question: The LR Disco has a step attached underneath the back bumper, a tow hitch, and the electric socket and wiring for a trailer hookup (badly corroded). Will these things match up with my 02 P38A HSE 4.6 LHD?

Thanks,
Vancer

Not sure what the wiring on your trailer connection is like but on UK/EU models at least (don't see why NA models would be different) the right hand side looking at the tailgate has a multipin plug with the "black" trailer connector wiring on it tucked in behind the rear light cluster. On the left side there's a plug with a couple of pins (fog lamp, split charge?) that go to the "white" trailer connector.

chassis is totaly different, tow hitch, rear step won't fit. Electric socket had different connector connecting it to the car

Thanks, Roger-B
I didn't buy the hitch parts/step based on your info.

I did get an 03 BMW 325i mirror and used its mounting arm to transplant into the Disco compass mirror assembly so it would fit correctly on the windscreen of my 02 P38A. I had read that using the Disco mount made the mirror sit lower.

The metal collar that secures the ball & socket was more than I could do. I pried it downward and it sprung loose to take apart. I did not have the tools or know-how as to how to put it back on. I found a 96 RR P38A (or it might have been a 96 BMW 5 series--been to several breaker yards lately) mirror and it had a snap ring rather than a collar. I used that snap ring. The mirror stays in place. The wiring plugs matched up (Disco to P38A). I disconnected the Home Link circuit in the Disco mirror housing (left side, separate circuit board) as the P38A has its own Home Link above the driver door. The compass works. As far as I can tell, nothing else has changed. Very sophisticated circuitry inside the mirror--can see why Land Rover dealer would think they could charge $400+ new.
Vancer

Did you ever get around the mounting issues with your mirror?

I fitted a compass mirror to my old P38 and went to do the same to my last VSE. When I noticed the mirror didn't fit I didn't pursue it and ended up selling the car complete with the mirror.

I wondered about trying to source the mount that is glued to the windscreen from a Discovery II but I can't find a part number for it and the dealer I called suggested that it only comes with the windscreen.

David.

I tried removing the mirror mount from a parts P38 and took a big chip of glass with it. Maybe if you heat it up before removing it?

Here’s the guide I created in 2011 for an earlier P38.

https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/rear-view-mirrors.36686/

They shared a windscreen mount with the P38 but the plug was different. It seems on the later P38 the plug is the same but the mount is different unfortunately.

David.