rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hello All,
'02 RR P38A 4.6L HSE (LHD) with 135K miles. Radiator's large upper plastic pipe connector separated underneath (making an elliptical shaped break) where hose connects. Decided to replace radiator, and the water pump, serpentine belt, idler tensioner and the 2 idler pulleys as well. Looking at the idler pulleys, the one under the steering pump looks larger to me than the one under the tensioner on the opposite side.

Autozone has just the idler pulley (not through bolt) for $17 + shipping. Are the idler pulleys the same size and are the through bolt diameters a match as well? Looked in Rave and did not find anything to say one way or another. If they are not the same, could you recommend a good supplier? Searched this forum and saw others had replaced these items but no details about sizes. A full weekend ahead...
Thanks,
Vancer

That's an unusual failure...
Idler pulleys from VIN XA410482:
Tensioner side- PQR101060- 70mm
Aircon side- PQR101150- 80mm
Bolts- FB110081L- M10x40
As you're getting in deep with replacements, why not do the thermostat as well?

Definitely do the thermostat too whilst you are under there. Its a right PIA as there isn't quite enough elbow and arm room when you are lying on your back. Dunno if there actually is space to slide things in with the thermostat attached and pipes fitted but after my previous battle thats what I intend to try when the radiator goes. Still original on a year 2000 car so can't be much longer for this world. Maybe put it on next years preventative maintenance list.

There may be an issue with hose sizes. Back in 2015 I got a full set of water hoses from DLS whilst chasing small water leaks. Its looking as if some are slightly too large internal diameter. Top hose has the very tiniest weep from the end where it fits the radiator and inlet hose onto water pump inlet had a more significant leak. Both became visible when the car was running stationry during the aircon refill process. Top hose has spring clip clamp as supplied with it so I can't tighten it up. Not happy with screw types on plastic rads anyway as the forces aren't quite even and temptation is to over tighten. Water pump hose was so slack on the water pump stub that coolant poured out when I loosened the worm drive clip to re-adjust and re-tighten. Pulled up about as much as I dare now. Looks OK so far. I fitted the hose after re-doing the front cover and water-pump gaskets but before re-fitting viscous fan, serpentine belt and belt tensioner. Easy to get on the hose clamp screw that way but my chosen position made it virtually impossible to get at the screw with everything in place. Fortunately a combined hex head and slot type or I'd never have got at it. Magnet on a stick essential for fishing the spanner out of the bottom of the radiator cowl. Twice!

Clive

Orangebean wrote:

Idler pulleys from VIN XA410482:
Tensioner side- PQR101060- 70mm According to latest parts list this supersedes to
https://www.lrdirect.com/PQR500060-Idler-Timing-Belt/
Don't buy Britpart!

Aircon side- PQR101150- 80mm
https://www.lrdirect.com/PQR101150-Pulley-Aux.-Drive/
Bolts- FB110081L- M10x40 but both appear to come with bolts- worth checking though.

Hello All,
Just looking from the top and not dismantled, the idler pulleys appeared to be two different sizes. Thanks Orangebean (70 v. 80 mm).

Ordered a thermostat and plan to change it at the same time. Forgot to state that with the initial post. Have had the Rangie for a little more than 2 years. I suspected an antifreeze leak somewhere; saw some small white spots across the top of the radiator. Replaced the large upper hose that also feeds to the thermostat about 6 mos ago, thinking that was the leak. Less white specs but just couldn't pinpoint it until now. Hyperbolic might have been a better descriptor of shape of crack (v. elliptical). Magnets and spanners just go together.

I think there should be magnetic gas caps, magnetic straight rakes (particularly useful in finding roofing nails by your house)...big on magnets. Thanks again,

Clive, a bit off topic since it's not about idler pulleys, indeed the bottom pumphose is a pain to reach. I did the pump, hose and stat as an assembly on the bench to make sure the hose was straight on the pump.
The CTC clips attached in place, I could turn the hose for lining up in the right direction just by using the Midlock 7048 spanner and lock it in open position to turn the hose a bit.
enter image description here

Hello All,
Replaced the thermostat, tensioner, 2 idler pulleys (70 and 80 mm), water pump, radiator, serpentine belt, and 2 hoses. Flushed heater matrix. Added Pentosin NF Antifreeze (Blue liquid sold by Autozone--don't know if you have them in the UK) which is supposed to be an OE equivalent for the Rangie. It is an O.A.T. or Hybrid O.A.T. Rig is running well at 137K miles. Have driven 36 miles city and Interstate Hwy. Temp needle stays just to the left of center.
No more stain on the driveway.
Thanks for the info and suggestions.