rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

For the last few days I've noticed the little book symbol appearing on the climate control screen. It's not there when I start a journey but usually is by the time I reach my destination. Not always though and it goes away if I turn the car off and back on.

When the book appears I seem to still have full climate control functionality. The air con still works and gets very cold, the heater gets very warm, each of the air direction buttons works and the heat everything/demist button still works.

So, I've no idea what the light is telling me as it all still seems to work - any ideas?

It's detecting a fault of some sort but you need diagnostics plugging in to find out what. What time do you have lunch, I can drop in to you at work and plug the Nanocom in to see what it is saying if you want.

Usually 1-2 but I can go pretty much whenever I like.

Would be good to hook it up if you don't mind?

I have a feeling that the car heard I was thinking of taking the dashboard out for something else is about to "politely" ask me to replace the blend motors while I'm there.

Now that I think about it, I have been hearing something that sounds like a chorus of crickets from various parts of the dash lately. A kind of "chirping" that happens occasionally. Blend motor noises?

RutlandRover wrote:

Now that I think about it, I have been hearing something that sounds like a chorus of crickets from various parts of the dash lately. A kind of "chirping" that happens occasionally. Blend motor noises?

More likely a sticky flap somewhere, leaves in your fans or perhaps fan motor bearings getting dry and tired?

I had stuff stuck in the fans after replacing the incredibly old pollen filters and that made more of a ticking/tapping/percussive noise. It also varied with the fan speed. This is a more constant speed and sounds softer, somehow.

Will have to wait and see what the Nanocom tells us later.

I've want to call in at Marshall's sometime today to get the EKA code for another car I have here, I'll drop you a text when I'm in the area.

Great, cheers. Let me know when you're on the way and I'll have a pot of coffee ready.

Nanocom says the right hand blend motor is shorting to ground. Richard tested it with the Nanocom by adjusting the temperature and found that the reading/value moved accordingly so it's clearly working. The short must be momentary/intermittent so I think I'll leave it for now and look at replacing it if it becomes a permanent fault and stops something working.

Cheers Richard!