rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Clive's thread on lifting his car has disappeared not because it broke any forum rules ('cuz there aren't any), but because Ferryman started writing a reply and then attempted to edit it. Unfortunately, he deleted the whole thread and not just his own post......

It might be recoverable but I'm not sure how often backups are done so it may have been lost forever, doh!

No worries. These things happen.

If it never re-appears a couple of quick notes on the replies I saw.

Excellent point from Chris about working crouched. Something I'd sort of considered and wanted some views on how serious a constraint it really is if I go for a mid rise system. Half the point of getting the car into the garage is to make working in short bursts practical. Be 63 next month and getting past 10 hour working on the car days. Doable if I have to but not to be planned for.

Pit isn't practical as there is about three or four foot of ironstone a foot or so down from the garage floor. Building Inspector wanted us to dig down into that for extension foundations. Had to bounce a jackhammer off it before he accepted it wasn't going anywhere.

Looks like playing with what I have is best place to start.

Clive

Might need to place some blame on me too - I tried editing my post and got a 404 page.

Regarding the issue of working crouched; I'm 28 and working crouched gives me bad back pain and has for as long as I can remember. If I had the opportunity to do something to allow me to work more upright I'd jump at it.

When you look at it Clive, how often do you really want, or need to be underneath. If you've done fluid changes, axles, gearbox, you don't need to go underneath for a while. I've got 10 yrs on you, and I don't like being under them now, I know I'm gonna pay the price the next day,,

I used to have access to a garage with a pit and stopped using it as I found it more comfortable laying on the floor. The pit wasn't quite deep enough to stand up and if I was kneeling then I was working above my head with my arms fully stretched. The advantage with the P38 is if the suspension is put on high, there's enough space to crawl under there with it (although I'm only skinny).

Backups are done at 3am every morning and archived to a cloud storage provider. I'll dig into it in the morning!

The gear I currently have can sensibly lift it a foot, may be a touch less. Will do for fluid changes and basic servicing jobs underneath but not enough elbow room to sensibly cope with the more ambitious stuff the MoT man wants me to do. Apart from the rubbery bits chassis et al is looking distinctly scabby at the back and more than a few fasteners that need to be shifted soon if they are ever going to come undone. Probably do the prop shafts whilst I'm at it too.

So I really do need to find a way to get it a bit higher. Preferably with some flexibility in height setting so it can be adjusted for different jobs. Got one of those convertible creeper / roll around seat thingies in the white elephant box, just a LiDL temptation. Would seat mode be a more comfy alternative to crouching if I end up with a mid rise system?

Clive

Looks like Gordon was able to recover at least some of the thread. Only problem now is whenever we add to it, Ferryman's name stays at the top of the first page.

So keep it up lads......

I, for one, won't be adding anything to this thread just to keep it at the top of the page
:)

Allright then, for once and for all:
enter image description here

I haven't done anything to it yet...