rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

My drivers side mirror only adjusts up and down and not side to side.

I bought a new mounting clip expecting it to be that that's snapped but it's not. It's the little white plastic arm that is attached to the motor.

I've tried superglue and no more nails bit neither of them will fix the tow sections back together again.

I've looked on eBay for a used electric mirror but they mostly seem to be unpainted black plastic.

As mine is painted to match the body, is it possible to remove the electric motor/adjustment mechanism and swap it over with one from another mirror?

Yes, its fiddly, but they can be taken apart.

Don't be surprised if you find the reverse mirror dip functionality doesn't work properly on the replacements if yours currently does - most don't! The potentiometers responsible for keeping track of the mirror position fail, and are built into the mechanism and are not replaceable or fixable. Or at least no one has been able to thus far.

Cheers.

So the bit that handles the reverse dip isn't part of the main motor/adjustment mechanism then?

That's annoying. It works in my current mirror.

I might look at trying to glue the arm back together again with something else.

It is, yes. The motors and potentiometers are all part of one unit.

At some point I will get another unit to have a go at finding some way of fixing them as neither of mine return properly, so like most the function is turned off. I'd quite like it to work though - I find it quite handy on my BMW.

Let me have a dig in my shed, think I've got one you can pinch the motor out of.. or I will remove and send it,, wish me luck, I'm going in,, lol

Update, I made it out the shed with 2 r/h side mirrors, 6 wire I think, your welcome to either

I don't think the 6 wire ones have the potentiometers in them for the reverse dip/memory mirror function. Who knows though, maybe LR used the same motors across all of the mirrors and just didn't wire the potentiometers on non-memory units, but I have a feeling they just probably aren't there.

Rutlandrover... if the mirror dip works properly on your current mirrors, then you should be able to just swap the white cog piece - from memory the toothed end will come out of the motor, and the other end is in a ball/socket joint and will pop out.

So there will still be some disassembly required, but you might not need to go to the extreme of swapping the whole motor unit over.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do. I'll just keep my out for a really cheap mirror on eBay that I can cannibalise.