rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Over the past few days, i've seen some electrical weirdness with the P38.

Since i've had it, the dash often beeps "Alternator Fault" when you turn the ignition on, but otherwise seems to work fine.

The other day the wife had the rear door open putting the wee man in his seat, and i'd put the ignition on while waiting (not started the engine) and i heard a relay clicking somewhere in the dash. When i looked at the screen, the "Door Open Left Rear" was flickering on and off in time with the relay, the battery warning light was also flashing on and off. When she shut the door, it stopped.

Its done the same thing a few times when doors are open, but the other day while driving along, i'm sure i heard the same relay clicking a couple of times while driving. There was nothing obvious on the dash, no beeps or warning lights, just the clicking of a relay.

Any ideas?

The door open warning coming on and off and relay clicking at the same time will likely be being caused by a dodgy door microswitch. Cue Marty chiming in :)

Edit - removed thing about alternator fault as I can't actually remember if I'm right!

What Sloth said ^^ but an observation as well. From my experience with my '95, all of the main electrical cables/ grounds were deteriorating with corrosion where they were crimped into the connectors so it's worth having a close look at the main batt to chassis ground cable (inc where it connects to the suspension tower) and the main power cables that feed the fusebox and starter motor/ alternator. I replaced all of mine.
In addition, on the early models there is a worthwhile modification to add a new 25mm2 direct from battery +ve to alternator. On our early ones the original cable runs to the starter motor first before continuing on to the alternator.
There are some really good electrical tests with numbers to achieve here:
https://rangerovers.pub/topic/7-info-electrical-basic-tests