rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

For chris10
TPS
Hi Chris - you kindly mentioned you might have one going spare.. If you follow the topic you will see that I have ordered the wrong one and it has upset the Idle speed setting so putting the old one back on as it may be faulty at other speeds but at least it was correct for idle. Anyway, going to reset idle in garage if poss but if still a problem could I make an offer for your TPS ?
Chris

super4 wrote:

I tried all my spanglish to make sure he understood but 'adaptive values' are beyond me so just have to cross fingers.

Try:
valores adaptativos
:)

Well you will not have any trouble ordering a beer when you come !!

I can order a beer in about twenty different languages. Unfortunately
ya no bebo más cerveza
:(

Ok you pass.......just improved the temp hose pipe breather - till new one obtained and the thinner rubber pipe on other side looks in better condition. Tested the TPS with meter - looks smooth enough - there are so many sensors etc to make this thing run that it becomes a nightmare. I imagine you lot know your stuff so well because you have had to fix everything .....

Collectively we probably have.
As for me - I just collect spare parts for both types and leave them on the shelf. My theory is, if you have a spare the original will never break :)

Bearing in mind that I'm up a mountain many miles from anything Range Rover apart from my two wrecks, you will be impressed by my temporary repair - there is no shortage or water pipes and fittings here - only the water to go though them !enter image description here

If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid.

Regarding the TPS and idling - you may remember that until I removed it to try a change it idled perfectly - when the wrong one 'threw' the system I put the old one back and found the system didn't recognize it and as people suggested it will need a reset. Well, just now after checking the impedance I connected the plug without putting it back on the mounting - started the engine without touching the accelerator pedal and it idles perfectly. You remember I mentioned that when engaging the throttle drive key in the keyway it didn't allow one to seat it until it had a slight start on the pot. And in this correct mounting the idle is wrong at about 1500 ish. So it does seem as suggested that a reset will be the answer if mr Spain can do it tomorrow.

By the way - you can see the state of my engine - the dust and dirt here is awful - I've heard people say steam cleaning with all the electrics is asking for trouble - how would you do it ?

You've got it right. If they can't do the reset, your easiest option is, as I suggested earlier, to enlarge the mounting holes so you can turn the TPS slightly. That way you can get the voltage back into the correct operating window.

Ah just realised what you mean - to elongate the screw holes - the other day thought you meant reshape the plastic keyway - clever stuff !

Yup, you got it.

Oh well you are right as ever ! Went to garage at 9 and met the boss guy who checked the details and said they could not do resets !!! The young fellow I saw first assured me they could. So on my way to the big Range Rover garage in the sky in Malaga .

As you already have the freebie version of EASUnlock and are used to using it, have you thought of getting the paid for version (V4.0)? It'd probably pay for itself by the time you've stumped out for a couple of trips to a main dealer to have codes read.
Does adaptive resets and stuff...
http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.php/range-rover-p38a/range-rover-p38a-eas-unlock-v3

Just one thing Gilbert - elongating holes for TPS position sounds ok if the values used are linear but what if the clever devil uses a non linear value interpretation at higher speeds - spanish guy was not enthusiastic !

It's linear from idle (about 0.5-0.7V) up to wide open throttle at just short of 5.0V. I've done it and it works, believe me.

Slightly off subject, I've made TPS's for carb'd vehicles I've owned (to connect the TPS wire on AEB175 systems to, also fitted a lambda in the exhaust). Short bit of rubber gas hose acting as a CV joint between the throttle shaft and potentiometer helps prevent the pot suffering side loads which might otherwise cause premature failure, can get the voltage curve to do whatever you like by playing with different value resistors between earth and the pot / live and the pot / between live and pot output. Bit of faffing but only pennies to make. A normal TPS rotates 90 degrees and output varies between 0 and 5v, if you choose a pot that'll turn about 220 degrees and stick 12v at it the voltage curve will be very similar from the outset.

Right - many miles - it still drives note, but Range Rover Malaga - marble floors - shiny new cars with Range Rover labels which I would never recognise as a Range Rover - only 70 thou euros, says - in broken Spanish/English big problem - they can't reset anything or words to that effect and said something about problem with mariposa which means butterfly and they would need it for a big checkover. So drove home having escaped without having to pay anything !

Stopped at 'Tune Rite' - german guy in village who assures me he can reset things but said when I changed the TPS I should have disconnected the Battery (does say this in the manual) but I didn't think it necessary. Anyway, he said go home, disconnect battery for at least 24 hours and the computer devil should reset to basics !!!! What do you make of this ? He said I can go back and he will reset things if that doesn't work !

Orange, this EAS unlock old freebie that I have is only for the Air suspension - are you saying that v4 does all the code reads on our P38s

Yep-
Air Suspension - Read & Clear Faults
Air Suspension - Calibrate Air Suspension
Air Suspension - Air Suspension
Air Suspension - Function Tests
Air Suspension - Live Sensor Readings
Body Control Module - Customize Factory Settings
Body Control Module - Function Tests
Body Control Module - Live Sensor Readings
GEMs Engine - Read & Clear Faults
GEMs Engine - Relearn immobilizer Codes
GEMs Engine - Reset Adaptive Fuel Values
Motronic Engine - Read & Clear Faults
Motronic Engine - Reset Adaptive Fuel Values
HEVAC - Read & Clear Faults
HEVAC - Read & Function Tests
ABS Early- Read & Clear Faults
ABS Late- Read & Clear Faults
Battery disconnect thing is bolleaux. Doesn't reset anything apart from windows, sunroof and radio. WTF didn't Mr Tune Right plug in and reset there and then? Only takes 2 minutes even in Spanish sunshine...
EDIT- by the way, RAVE says to disconnect the battery for everything- probably even checking tyre pressures. Needs to be treated with common sense.

Orangebean wrote:

WTF didn't Mr Tune Right plug in and reset there and then?

Because like everyone else, he can read and reset fault codes but almost certainly can't reset the adaptive values. But you would have expected him to have plugged in his machine and proved he can't do it*. As OB says disconnecting with battery and leaving it for a minute, a day or even a millennium won't reset anything other than the windows, sunroof and radio. Get the drill out and elongate the mounting holes in the TPS so you can turn it. It WILL work guaranteed.

• In saying that, I got an email from Mymystery yesterday. She's just outside Paris so in what you would consider to be a reasonably civilised area but it's only taken 3 months of cancelled appointments and excuses as to why they can't do it that day to get her wheels balanced FFS.......