rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I changed my radio over today, due to the LCD screen on the Clarion being buggered.

I've never been able to change the balance etc due to the screen not working, and the radio has never sounded brilliant, and the drivers door speaker has never worked.. I assumed it was the balance on the radio.

Anyway the new head is in, and it sounds fantastic.. however the drivers door speaker still isn't working.
It's raining at the moment, so I haven't taken the door card off yet to investigate, however when I did first purchase the Range, I took the card off and had a quick look and found the amp and speaker is connected correctly.

So when I have a little look tomorrow, is there anything in particular I should check?

It's the HK diversity system with the amps in the doors and sub and CD changer in the boot.

Cheers.

The door amps do fail, between my first two P38s I've replaced 2-3 of them. Generally cheap on eBay though and plentiful.

So if the amp fails will the speaker be completely silent? No crackles or anything?

Unplug the speaker from the amp and stick a multimeter on the speaker terminals- should read about 4 ohm. You'll get a click from the speaker as well. If that's OK, the cone moves freely without scratching noises and the foam is intact then it's either the amp or the wires to the amp.
Back to tracing cables again!
Do the other speakers in that door work OK?

If it's the speaker itself that is dead, bung a pair of JBL Stage 600 speakers in the front doors instead. I've recently put a pair in mine to replace the 19 year old rattly things that were in there and they make a noticeable diffrence to the sound quality. I got the 600C models which have now been replaced by the 600CE but you might find someone with the C's still.

All the other speakers work brilliantly considering the age, just as good as any 17 plate I've been driving, and with my job I've driven a few!

I did think of swapping the passenger side just to check the wiring.

Simple test... 9v battery on the speaker +/- wires. Don't leave it connected, just tap it. Of the cone moves, then chances are the speaker is OK.

One polarity the speaker cone should push out, the other it should pull in.

Door amps do fail occasionally, but I had a speaker in mine when I bought it where it was seized solid, and thus wouldn't work.

You can of course swap the amp to the other front door the test it too.

Sorry should have added - if the amp is dead, the midrange and tweeter also won't make any sound either. I'm assuming its died entirely. I have had a seized woofer too - I think on my first P38, which also had a dead amp in that door.

I wouldn't change the speaker(s) for aftermarket units personally on the door amp setup - I tried a couple of different woofers, and none worked as well with the door amp as the OEM woofer.