rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

2 different part numbers shown in Microcat
RSC500010 (late vehicles with Firestone bags)
STC3672 (earlier with Dunlop bags)
News to me that the late cars even _had _Firestone bags. I was just about to hit the buy button on a pair of Boges (STC3672), now pondering whether there's a difference in damping, length or something between the two part numbers. The 02 has always sat higher on standard compared to the 95 but I've just put that down to calibration.
I'm looking to restore that "factory" front end feel to my 02.
Anyone been here before me with Boge STC3672 on the late cars? There's a considerable price difference!

First thing would be to check and see if you have Dunlop or Firestone springs. I wasn't even aware that there was anything other than Dunlops to be quite honest.

Gilbertd wrote:

First thing would be to check and see if you have Dunlop or Firestone springs. I wasn't even aware that there was anything other than Dunlops to be quite honest.

Urgh- that will mean crawling around under it. Fully engaged doing vital work on the lawn tractor at the moment as keep losing the small dog in the long grass...

I fully appreciate the problem, however, in this house, Dina is the one baking in the sun outside doing battle with a Honda powered mower while I've been inside watch the GP from Spa......

Gilbertd wrote:

I fully appreciate the problem, however, in this house, Dina is the one baking in the sun outside doing battle with a Honda powered mower while I've been inside watch the GP from Spa......

Great division of labour!
My other half's off baking in the sun at a festival up in the Midlands somewhere, while I'm here fixing the (Kawasaki powered) tractorette and watching the GP using the pause function on the Sky box at the same time.
I thought only females could multitask...

You should be able to narrow down what should be fitted using microcat with the vin lookup? The ones I've used won't do a lookup off of a reg, but will work off the vin. Might need to look at the bags rather than the shocks themselves.

That's a new one to me, I've never come across firestone bags, you learn something new every day ..

Haven't been under car to check make yet, but bags on there aren't original (they'd be a bit tired if they were). According to my pile of invoices the car had at least 2 replacement full sets of bags fitted, was converted to coils, then back to bags again!

It'll have Dunlops on it then (or Britpart....).

I'm going to fire up the workshop version of Microcat this morning. As BrianH reminded me, that one has the details for the build of my particular car on it, so I can dig deeper. The Microcat I used yesterday was a cutdown one that doesn't tie back to VINs etc.

So, loaded up my vehicle specific version of Microcat and...
It listed both types of bags as appropriate for my car :(
REB101740- Spring, front suspension, air, plastic, must be matched with damper, Dunlop air spring, less hot climate
REB000550- Spring, front suspension, air, plastic, must be matched with damper, Firestone air spring, for hot climate zones
so, once I've determined current bag make (fingers crossed they're Dunlop), I'll get dampers (std Boges STC3672) to suit

They will be Dunlop.. I've never seen a firestone bag even for sale over here.

I didn't even know there was a different version of the air spring/shock- it doesn't even show up on my parts tree.

You've even put in there that the firestone ones are for hot weather climate, so hardly likely to be fitted here. Maybe for the Middle East or Australian markets, but we hardly classify as a 'hot weather market

Just stick a set of Dunlops and Boge shocks on and be done with it, since that seems to be what's standard here in the UK

In my initial ponderings there was nothing about the climatic option for the bags, just the fact that there were two types of bags possible for my car and consequently two types of shocks. I'd never even heard of Firestones and their partner shocks which started me thinking and digging deeper.
Research this morning threw up the climate thing and, given the staggeringly expensive cost of the Firestone bags over here (£322.54 each) there would be no reason for any previous owner to fit them and they wouldn't be standard.
So there we go- I've now more knowledge of obscure P38 options and spec and if ever at a cocktail party of P38 enthusiasts I can dazzle and amaze them with my knowledge of the breed.
Bags are confirmed nearly new Dunlops, STC3672s are going on to replace the Monroes. New genuine LR radius arm and panhard rod bushes to replace the polys, Armstrong steering damper, Lemforder drag link and track rod ends so back to the way it rolled off the line on 13th November 2001 (was reminded of the birthday from the build info in Microcat this morning!).

My other half's off baking in the sun at a festival up in the Midlands somewhere

And I was baking in the sun in a festival in Bradford, or more accurately marinading in Old Speckled Hen and curry.

gordonjcp wrote:

.., or more accurately marinading in Old Speckled Hen and curry.

Bet that attracted the wasps

Hi Familiar friends - I know it is not the forum I'm normally on but I can't get onto my Alesi LPG problem forum (called Opening Time!) I get a server error 505 - that is on my Opera and google chrome. I can see them to start but the error comes in when I sign in - any ideas please - expect the system is fed up with me !!

super4 wrote:

Hi Familiar friends - I know it is not the forum I'm normally on but I can't get onto my Alesi LPG problem forum (called Opening Time!) I get a server error 505 - that is on my Opera and google chrome. I can see them to start but the error comes in when I sign in - any ideas please - expect the system is fed up with me !!

It's not you. The server's been a bit wobbly for the last 20 minutes or so. Comes and goes...

Thanks - getting grey hair here with everything breaking down !

And this morning it still doesn't allow me to log in on the alesi topic - still a 505 error. Actually I'm very impressed with this forum but who actually runs it ? Is it one of you ?

Gordonjcp knows the man who does :)
I've messaged him about the problem this morning