rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Changed the pinion and drive flange on the front diff as it was leaking a bit. Then it still leaked so did it again.

I see where the diff bolts onto the axle there's some sort of black sealant. Is it normal to seal between the diff and axle or is there meant to be a gasket? I'm not sure if it's sprung a leak. Perhaps a check/tighten of the nuts?

strike that.

Read Rave and found out. RTV sealant between housing and axle. I'll check nuts.

Clean it off and see if you can see where it is leaking from. It's not unknown for a weep to come out of a weak point in the weld on the axle casing itself.

Steamed cleaned last week so.could try and isolate where the oils were coming from.

Definately pinion which is why thats been done.

Also potential rear engine seal as we've previously discussed. I put some lucas leak stop in to try tackle that one.

I coated it all in degreaser yesterday and took it up the jet wash. That got it all off so hopefully it'll still be clean this morning.

I've just dropped kids and Mrs off so i'll go put now and have an inspection.

A leaky weld sounds a bit catastrophic!!

blueplasticsoulman wrote:

A leaky weld sounds a bit catastrophic!!

Only if you let it mess with your head...
If it's only a drip occasionally, just treat it as part of the chassis autolube system. Keep the oil topped up and it'll go on for years.

Orangebean you know how easy it is to become obsessed. Got that boot badge yet? lol

The desire for a boot badge is a perfectly healthy obsession. The desire to keep your P38 maintained, leak free and in great mechanical condition is, to be frank, odd and slightly deviant behaviour
:) :)

Maintained and in great mechanical condition is normal for piece of mind, leak free is like wishing for a white Christmas, it may happen once in a while but it'll never last and you certainly can't rely on it.

lol. You guys make me chuckle.

Anyroad...

Been parked up in this spot for 45 mins and this is what's on the road

enter image description here

Think you'll agree that it needs addressing. It's leaking from about half way up the seal.

enter image description here

I've tried moving the prop up and down but it doesn't budge so I don't think there's any play in the bearing. Could I have been unlucky enough to end up with 2 crap seals? I hold my hands up and say they wern't genuine Landrover ones.

Edit.

Holy s**t. Just phoned Landrover. £18.46+VAT for a genuine one. First one I fitted was Bearmach. Second one I can't remember. Just arrived in an envelope. Is it plausible it could be the seal or might I waste £20 odd quid getting another?

I've checked the breathers. Although the tubes are clear, can there be a blockage where the tube goes into the diff? How would I check that? Stick some pipe in and blow?

For your peace of mind, as the adagium at Landrovers is for years: if it's not leaking it's empty.

Did you change flange at the same time?
If not, chances are there's a wear groove where the seal sits on the flange
http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/245806/390/diff_pinion_seal_kit_front___rear_p38_range_rover

Yep. New Bearmach drive flange went on with the first seal.