rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

What's "traction failure" and what causes the message?

I've had it happen to me a handful of times since I've owned the car. The only thing that's noticeable when I get the message is that it resets my radio code. Next time you start the engine the message has cleared. I get no other side effects.

I can't replicate the circumstances. Could it be a dodgy ground somewhere?

Only time I've seen it is after I'd moved a car with one ABS sensor disconnected but that alternated with ABS Failure. Shouldn't affect the radio though so I would think you are right in suspecting a dodgy earth.

traction failure sometimes goes along with ABS failure doesn't it which is fuse 17? So if it's an earth, it'll be on the fuse 17 circuit?

Would it be worth pulling the abs sensors and giving them a blast with some contact cleaner?

Fuse 17 also deals with the brake lights. Supply from it comes off the only plug on the back of the BeCM, the one under the carpet in the rear footwell. Mine was well burnt and whenever I put my foot on the brake the HEVAC display and radio went off. Oddly, according to RAVE, fuse 17 has naff all to do with the radio.....

Hmmm.

I've had trouble in the past with fuse 17 blowing and getting both abs and traction failure. I thought i'd traced that down to some dodgy wiring that the previous owner had done with regard to the rear entertainment stuff.

I'll have a look at the connector on the BeCM.

I've seen the traction failure warning when my battery has been low/disconnected. Same with the lost radio code.

Loose/dodgy power connection from the battery?

same with me I had a weak battery came up with traction fault and lost radio code and as it got worse battery nearly dead gearbox fault