rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Finally got the trailing arm off.

Had to cut the rear most bolt as it just wouldn't come out. Even with it off the car, plastered with penetrating oil, braying like mad and having heat on it, i still can't get it out. I'm up shit creek here cause clearly the car is now in dry dock until i can fix it. Any ideas how i can get it out please?????

enter image description here

blueplasticsoulman wrote:

Finally got the trailing arm off.

Had to cut the rear most bolt as it just wouldn't come out. Even with it off the car, plastered with penetrating oil, braying like mad and having heat on it, i still can't get it out. I'm up shit creek here cause clearly the car is now in dry dock until i can fix it. Any ideas how i can get it out please?????

Only options I can think of are either to press it out (if you have one/can get access to one) or drilling it out - you might find a small hole down the centre of it to begin with gives you a chance of drilling out a bit bigger if your lucky, the action of doing so might be enough to loosen it.

Have you got a decent vice? Put a socket slightly larger than the hole of one side and something, a nut or whatever you can find, on the other side. Do the vice up tight and push it out. There's two chances, it'll start to move or you'll break the vice.....

Gilbertd wrote:

Have you got a decent vice? Put a socket slightly larger than the hole of one side and something, a nut or whatever you can find, on the other side. Do the vice up tight and push it out. There's two chances, it'll start to move or you'll break the vice.....

Good plan there, assuming your not doing anything with it tonight I'd also stick it in something to soak the end where the bolt is. Bucket of diesel would work!

It's more difficult, as the "loads of heat" solution can't be used because of the construction of the rear arms I suppose.
If Gilbertd's vice and Brians drilling don't work- back to the garage at the end of the road with the press that did your front bushes. A decent press would get it out or, worst case a £28 solution...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-RANGE-ROVER-P38-NEAR-SIDE-PASSENGER-REAR-TRAILING-ARM/182672454544?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-RANGE-ROVER-P38-OFF-SIDE-DRIVERS-REAR-TRAILING-ARM/182672451068?
You'd have it/ them by Wednesday.

Well that was a right mission. Began drilling at 8 this morning. Eventually breaking through but still wouldnt hammer out. Luckily my mate has a good setup of gear including a big Clark pillar drill so we stuck it on that. Still took some drilling though.

All back on now with new bush installed. Just the other side to do now but at least the bolts are free.