rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Swapping the battery with a good spare one at the weekend and was looking at the proper mess of wiring going to the battery. The new battery (which is near brand new and came in a car i was breaking for parts) annoyingly had the terminals the other way round, so i had lots of fiddling to do. I still need to properly re-make the ground wire and tidy up the live.

Cleaned up some old crimps from a spotlight kit that had been cut off at some point. Was left with the power and ground for the LPG kit and a small harness with two fuses.

While there i found two relay modules clipped to the side of the inner wing. One looks like your typical automotive relay. the other is bright yellow and says LANDROVER Voltage Sensitive switch. Its connected to a small harness which goes to the battery + and has two fuses, a 20A and a 15A. The output from the relay disappears off into the foam behind the ABS pump.

Any idea what it could be? I might try to get a small fuse box and mount it on the side rather than the mess thats there just now. But that relay makes the whole area really untidy.

It might be the towbar electrics if you have the Caravan type sockets fitted?

yeh it does have the two caravan sockets

I guess i can try pulling the fuse and see if the power to the socket goes away.

I presume the voltage sensitive switch ensures it only powers the caravan when the alternator is charging?

Aragorn wrote:

I presume the voltage sensitive switch ensures it only powers the caravan when the alternator is charging?

Sort of like a split charge relay to charge caravan battery? I had to think about it for a second or two as couldn't understand why you'd have to keep the engine running at night to keep the lights on in the caravan! Doh!

yeh i'm guessing, i didnt get near it this weekend, but i'm thinking it shuts off the two power feeds in the grey plug when the alternator isnt running.

So exactly like a split charge relay, to ensure the caravan doesnt drain the car battery when connected but not running.