rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I've got coolant dripping down somewhere on the passenger side near the front. I can't quite see where it's coming from, but it seems to be near a small bolt with a flanged head into the side of the block just above the sump. Is this a block drain or something? It seems too far down.

Any thoughts on where it might be coming from?

How small? There's a row of 5 bolts going into the side of the block just above the sump joint that are the cross bolts for the main bearings although I wouldn't describe them as small. There is a block drain plug but that is about half way up (level with the core plugs), towards the back and is usually a square headed plug rather than a flanged head bolt. Sure that's where it's leaking from and not just a convenient place to drip off?

Any chance of a pic?
There is a block drain on both sides
Ringed in red in this pic I've found...
enter image description here

I'm with Gilbertd on his core plug diagnosis. It'd then run down and drip off the cross bolts.
From the pic above the core plugs are positioned handily above the cross bolts with a handy cast boss for fluid to run down

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-DISCOVERY-RANGE-ROVER-V8-CORE-PLUG-Set-of-4-602152/331030030205?
for a set of 4. £3.99 plus £1 first class post
I imagine they'll be challenging to fit with exhaust etc in the way.

Right, so the bolts I'm seeing are indeed the cross bolts. As it happens I've got to get the exhaust manifold off to stop the heatshield rattling and replace the gasket, so I'll look then.

On the square drainplug fits a open end 10 mm wrench, I had fitted mine with teflon tape for-you-never-know.
The blue circled ones are crossbolts indeed, best it's not dripping from there or there is serious trouble.
Best bet is the core plug leaking, I remember you renewed them at your rebuild didn't you?

No, I haven't done a rebuild on mine, I just bought a 500 quid engine from a breaker, dhallworth and I threw it in, and it's been pretty okay ever since.

Very down on power below 3000rpm though, that's another thing I need to look into. Like, absolutely no torque until 2500rpm, then a wee bit, then above 3000 it's off, not exactly like a scalded cat, more like a fairly fat lazy cat that's had warmish water dripped on it, but at least it's off ;-)