rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

While sitting behind the rangey at the weekend i noticed a rusty protrusion on the rear bumper. Closer inspection showed two rusty protrusions which turned out to be hanging out of the access holes underneath, that are there to let you undo the bumper.

I fished about in the hole, and this fell out:

enter image description here

Looked at the other side and sure enough, the same thing was hanging out of the hole on that side too.

Bumper appears to be very loose, so clearly these mountings have failed. But i'm unsure if its just the bumper itself thats rusted out, or if the chassis is knackered... Does anyone know how the bumper attaches and where those rusty nuts are likely to be from?

I would remove the bumper for a look, but the LPG filler is attached to it which makes it a less trivial task.

There is just those two bolts holding the bumper on, then it drops slightly and slides out of a mounting bracket at either side behind each wheel. There is a clip that needs folding up/down on each of those too.

It might just be the metal frame of the bumper that has rusted away - on our red one the entire thing was disintegrating. Thump the bumper and it would rain and hail rust on the ground. Thankfully the chassis-side mountings were fine.

yeh, my worry was that its still bolted together, suggesting its broken off the chassis and bumper...

I guess i will need to source another bumper and see.

Interestingly i've noticed a new scrape on the corner of the bumper. I wonder if someones clouted it, and the impact has finished off the rusty mounts!

Sloth wrote:

There is just those two bolts holding the bumper on, then it drops slightly and slides out of a mounting bracket at either side behind each wheel. There is a clip that needs folding up/down on each of those too.

I'm not 100% convinced those clips are necessary. They were undone on mine when I got it and I couldn't get them to do up.

The clips aren't necessary really - mine had been forced the wrong way I guess when the LPG filler was done. I guess it stops the bumper making a swift departure if the bolts fall out...

well the clips and/or LPG filler are the only thing holding mine on at the moment :D