rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hi Morat, I have just fitted them, well, "just" being in January. I had a few jobs to do inside the car and replacing the carpets was the last job. The carpets that were fitted previously were original LR carpets but not from a P38. The two front carpets didn't clip in.

So, I am sorry to say, I won't be selling them !!! I know that they are impossible to find nowadays, and I was considering getting 3rd party ones from one of the car carpet suppliers, but I have never found any of those companies make decent quality carpets. I had a 1979 Merc, a few years ago, which had lambswool overmats and I thought about fitting new ones but they were impossible to find. The ones in my Merc were original from Mercedes back in the 70's but anything similar, 4 years ago, were very poor quality in comparison.

Pierre3.

To bring up to date this topic, some recent journeys

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aog9VsSxOLcFm1yl5aQvXoS_YDv1?e=3vWeb3

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Aog9VsSxOLcFm2mh8ymmjIV6jA_A?e=1q1wXh

lovely ride, the P38

KCR wrote:

Joined long time ago ... very happy to be here.
My "retro" Classic ...

P38 Classic 1

P38 C 2

P38 C3

How interesting. I will purchase the '3 Spoke' wheel to colour-match my Java Black P38. I'm contemplating what tyres to buy; either 255/70/16 vs 245/75/16. I want thick side walls.

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and P38s. I recently got a 2001 2.5D County with 205,000 miles after many years of looking at the P38, but never quite taking the plunge. Well, I've eventually done it. Three days in and only a drained battery, which was my own fault for knocking the side lights on while cleaning it and not noticing! All is well again, no beeps or warning lights, but plenty jobs to do.
Jim

Range Rover P38

Welcome Jim, looks pretty tidy. Where are you? I initially thought the US then realised you'd blanked out the front number plate and the car is RHD so suspect Scotland somewhere?

The County was a base model so came without a lot of the toys that most came with. What spec is it?

Gilbertd wrote:

Welcome Jim, looks pretty tidy. Where are you? I initially thought the US then realised you'd blanked out the front number plate and the car is RHD so suspect Scotland somewhere?

The County was a base model so came without a lot of the toys that most came with. What spec is it?

Hi Gilbertd, thanks for the welcome - it needs a few jobs doing but the fundamentals are all there - the photos are slightly more flattering than in real life and it was a (rare) sunny day which helps!

A good guess on the location - I'm in North East Scotland (Aberdeenshire).

Yes, it's a basic model, still on air which works correctly and the bags look reasonably fresh. It has a charcoal coloured leather interior with heated and electric seats which work, but I'm not sure if that's the original interior (it matches well if it isn't). There's very little wear on the drivers seat considering the mileage - did the late base spec models ever come with cloth interiors? The previous owner suggested it might have been cloth originally. No sunroof, no satnav, no multichanger (basic stereo unit doesn't work) but has AC (doesn't work) and cruise control (works) electric heated seats (work). I have the original 18 inch alloys, but liked the 16s the previous owner had put on it.

Overall very happy with it. Have wanted one of these since I saw one tested in one of the Land Rover magazines back in the mid '90s. I remember it being described as a technological leap forward from the Classic and not for the DIY mechanic (seem to remember it was a 4.0SE being tested) - we'll see how I get on.

Completed a service yesterday to find no air filter in the box and pollen filters that hadn't been changed for a very, very long time - it had oil in it though and it's not all over the driveway. The next job is a drive-shaft oil seal and suspect OSF caliper is sticking, steering damper also seems to have a slight leak....the list is growing but enthusiasm hasn't been dampened.

Jim

I know the early base spec ones came with cloth seats but not sure about the later ones..It wouldn't have had electric seats though. Are they the full electric with the up down, forward and back buttons on the side or just the basis electric with only up and down? No sunroof isn't a big deal as long as the AC works, so I would suggest getting that sorted. It might just need re-gassing but if it has a leak chances are it will be from the top right corner of the condenser. The factory sat nav is so out of date these days that not having it is a bonus. It may have the low line audio system (no mid range speakers in the doors) which means it won't have the door amps so any standard head unit will go straight in and just work.

Gilbertd wrote:

I know the early base spec ones came with cloth seats but not sure about the later ones..It wouldn't have had electric seats though. Are they the full electric with the up down, forward and back buttons on the side or just the basis electric with only up and down? No sunroof isn't a big deal as long as the AC works, so I would suggest getting that sorted. It might just need re-gassing but if it has a leak chances are it will be from the top right corner of the condenser. The factory sat nav is so out of date these days that not having it is a bonus. It may have the low line audio system (no mid range speakers in the doors) which means it won't have the door amps so any standard head unit will go straight in and just work.

I can't recall ever a seeing a late base spec model with cloth seats, so maybe they are original. They're just the basic electric seats with one button for up and down and then the bar at the front to slide backwards and forwards. I got a bit of a surprise when they worked!

I'll have to investigate the AC a bit more. I suspect it's not just a re-gas.

I'm going to try an aftermarket head unit I have lying around that I used in my old Freelander and see if that works then decide what to do longer term as prefer the original look of the standard head unit rather than trying to find some of those blanking pieces for either side of the aftermarket replacement.

my 97 gems have velour seats and no electrics, not even an up or down button.