rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hello folks,

The front nearside wheel bearings are showing early symptoms of failure (whining on the road that changes with road speed and changes in direction, movement felt through wheel when rocked vigorously).

I had been warned many moons ago that the bearings come as a complete cassette within the hub and that I'll be looking at circa £300 per unit.
But eBay is littered with bearing cassettes without the hub for circa £40.

Is this the normal way of buying wheel bearings?

Asking on here as I'm away from home at the moment so have no access to RAVE.

Cheers,

Smiler.

IIRC you need an enormous press to remove and refit the bearings in the hub. I seem to remember 100T being the number I was given several years ago.

Also, I think the bearings to look for are Timken and they were closer to £90 when I was looking.

Wow, that is a big press. I wonder if the old hydraulic press at work is still available...

When I was in the same boat I had one of these fitted. It's still OK ~£25k miles later.
https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/front-assy-ftc3243g-p-27181.html

I’m with morat, I know a bearing is cheaper, but the shape of the hub makes it a bloody nightmare to swap the bearing out. You’ve also got to get the rear dirt guard off, depends how much you value your time, a few hrs, or all day.
The timken bearings were fitted from new I believe, so yes it will last a while, it’s annoying that all other models are a lot cheaper, means there must be some major difference between them.

I've done all 4 of mine with Timken bearings. Used a 30T press but it didn't go over 8T at any time getting the old one out or putting the new one in.....

I can't seem to find wheel bearing replacement covered in RAVE, anyone know where to look?

If I go down the bearing route, what else is required? Any seals? Do the dirt guards generally need replacing?

Oh, and anyone try'd these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-MK4-P38-RANGE-ROVER-SPORT-L320-FRONT-HUB-WHEEL-BEARING/161381486210?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Ddafb8aefdc354d289af2913e45f2ca20%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D142781430552%26itm%3D161381486210&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

:)

It won't be in RAVE as they would just replace the complete hub rather than fitting a new bearing. However, https://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/drivetrain/hubs.html

Ta.

Gilbertd wrote:

It won't be in RAVE as they would just replace the complete hub rather than fitting a new bearing. However, https://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/drivetrain/hubs.html

Looks like there's a lot of different recommendations on the press size out there! Had a look earlier and saw some people saying 50t, 30t here and 20t in that guide.

Couldn't find any reference to the 100t I remembered though, I just have remembered wrong!

Bit like the 33 lbft for the crossmember bolts...... You need to be prepared to give something much more welly than you think it is going to take.

My mind was made up for me. When I limped into the nearest garage with the brake disk holding the wheel in place they flat out refused to change the bearing. Only a hub assembly would do. Maybe they didn't have a decent press or perhaps they CBA but they only charged me a couple of hours to change the hub over so it worked out fine.

Well I have taken the plunge and ordered the complete hub assembley. I need a quick turn around so can't risk finding either a seized rusted in bearing, desintegrating dirt guard or missing seal leaving me stranded.

Fitted without any great dramas. As I had reassembled the hub assembly last year with a smear of graphite grease after replacing the ball joints it came out without much of a fight. I still however resorted to me scissor jack trick.

The dirt guard on the new one wasn't quite in the correct place as the ABS sensor hole was out of alignment so that was a but of an unnecessary nuisance but other than that, no worries. Old one does feel quite rumbly, though no real play in it yet.

Gives you something to play with now, change the bearing and have a spare for the other side.

That's the plan, though I suspect it will end up sat in the shed until I suddenly need it.