rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Aye those round fings 'innit?

Wot are da best 4 the P38 ?

My old bus has Nexen rodians all round i wouldn't rate then at all.

I've been thinking of putting some BFG AT2's on her?

Any good?

She is running 18" comets!

I think it depends on what you're looking to do. I'm guessing this will be mainly on-road or you'd be getting 16" wheels?
Personally I like the General Grabber ATs on the P38. They're a road biased AT, nice and quiet but excellent in the snow.
I have AT3s on my Jeep and they're more off-road biased but still excellent in the wet and very quiet.

I think I have the general grabber ATs and have had them on for nearly three years now - rotated front to back once and still loads of tread. And no complaints about them really whatsoever.

Good in snow yes, but they're the only things I have experience of (in terms of ATs at least in snow, other car is a RWD BMW and sits firmly on the drive when it snows...) and could have fun with them if wanted :P

I've had Pirelli Scorpions, Goodyear Wranglers and currently have a set of Vredstein Quadrac 5. Out of them all the Vredstein are by far and away the best in the wet and on snow (Goodyears on snow were dire). Very quiet on the road but probably wouldn't be so good as a dedicated off road tyre on mud. As Morat has said, it depends what you want to do but in saying that, I did an off road course at Land Rover and even on road tyres you'll bottle it long before the car does.

Hiya Gents.

She goes offroad around the farm quite frequently so a Good AT will be a requirement,

I'm leaning towards the AT3 cheers Morat!

I have BFG ATs on my V8 Defender (265/75 R16)- the BFG AT was a standard fitment from new, am on my 2nd set at 100k miles. They come in two speed ratings though - you'll want the V for the P38. No complaints, runs at 80/85/90 without excessive noise, but if I needed to stop at speed on a slippery road, jury's out - the Defender is heavy, no ABS - RR is nearly twice as heavy, but at least has ABS.
I run Goodyear Efficiency (255/55 R18) on the P38, and had fun rallying on my Dad's farm last time i visited. On balance I'm more concerned about stopping the RR at speed on the road, than losing traction at low speed off road, so just depends how you think about it.

GYEs are about 100 per unit BFG ATs close to 180

Sloth wrote:

I think I have the general grabber ATs and have had them on for nearly three years now - rotated front to back once and still loads of tread. And no complaints about them really whatsoever.

Good in snow yes, but they're the only things I have experience of (in terms of ATs at least in snow, other car is a RWD BMW and sits firmly on the drive when it snows...) and could have fun with them if wanted :P

During one of the bad winters, I was caught without a 4x4 and had to commute on reasonably hilly country roads (50% gritted) in my E30. Luckily I'd seen this coming and got some Michelin Alpin tyres. They were amazing! Ok, you had to really concentrate but it was completely possible to get a loaded little E30 up 15% hills and more importantly - to brake coming back down!
Would I rather have a 4x4? yes of course :) but it was fun....

Morat wrote:

During one of the bad winters, I was caught without a 4x4 and had to commute on reasonably hilly country roads (50% gritted) in my E30. Luckily I'd seen this coming and got some Michelin Alpin tyres. They were amazing! Ok, you had to really concentrate but it was completely possible to get a loaded little E30 up 15% hills and more importantly - to brake coming back down!
Would I rather have a 4x4? yes of course :) but it was fun....

Currently on my E60 530D I have Falkens all round... fitted err January I think.

They are the biggest load of shite I have ever put on a car. Utterly, utterly shite. And dangerous. Do not waste money on them if you have anymore more than 20 ponies at the wheels...

Dry? Okay - you can get the rear wheels spinning if you want to with ease.

Mildly moist? You'll need the traction control turned off if you want to pull out and not risk the TC going nope NOPE NOOOOPE half way out of the junction...

And then to top it off, I went round a roundabout in the wet - no issues as I had done many times. Went to speed up having left the roundabout... and all four tyres may as well have been bald. Launched car over a kerb and ended up on the verge. Ruined the side wall of one of the rears, another chunk of the (already ruined by PO) alloy missing, hopefully haven't cracked the wheel.

But it pulled away on the grass and back onto the road just bloody fine. Car has been dumped on my drive for nearly two months now while I get around to putting some Michelins on it and throwing away the 6 month old Falkens.

I hate Falkens about as much as I hate the rest of the car. I say it would 'sit firmly on the drive when it snows' but frankly they have so little grip you could probably push it off the drive... best thing for it.

So... NO to Falkens then!

With 2WD, especially RWD I went with two sets of wheels with full winters on one set and summer fun tyres on the other. It works out very well in the long run - but not really worth it if you're doing the same thing by having a winter Range Rover and a summer BMW :)

I fitted a set of shiny new BF Goodrich Urban Terrain tyres to mine as they had the best wet weather rating and my P38 is used mainly on the road towing etc... They are superb! Lots of grip, very quiet and are an all seasons tyre with snow snipes which proved amazingly effective on compacted snow. They have also worn really well with loads of tread left after 20k.

I do now have a second set of wheels with Insa Turbo muddy boots fitted seeing as I live on the edge of the Salisbury Plain...

I have got a few decisions to make on tyres as well.
I have been running on General Grabber AT2's for quite a while and the fronts are wearing a bit unevenly and are near the limits.
I would like to stick with an off road tyre. The AT2's have been good but they don't make them any more.
One option is to fit AT3's on the front, with AT2's on the back. Not keen.
I like the BF Goodrich KO2's. I have got a set of old rims. Get them refurbished and fit BFG all round? Megabucks.
The tyres I have got on now are the original factory size 255/65 R16 and they fit in the spare wheel well.
BFG nearest seem to be 255/70 R16. Anyone running these?

dave3d wrote:

BFG nearest seem to be 255/70 R16

They definitely won't fit in the spare wheel well. But the AT3 in OE size doesn't look that expensive to me, see https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/general-grabber-at3-255-65-r16-109-h-bsw#261367880. Can't fault Oponeo either with delivery far quicker than mytyres.co.uk and blackcircles and often a lot cheaper too..

Thanks,
So to clarify, you don't think the BF Goodrich 255/70 R16 will fit in the wheel well?
Aspect ratio is 70 compared with 65 for the AT2's I am current using. Only 5% more.
Tyre section and diameter are the same. I think there is a bit of space around the AT2 in the boot.

There was a discussion on the other side a few months ago and someone found that anything larger than original won't fit. See https://tiresize.com/calculator/, diameter of the 255/65x16 is 29.1" while the 70 series is 30.1".

Tyre diameter can be calculated, I think this is the way to do it...

Examples

255/65/16
sidewall height makes up 65% of 255mm so 255*0.65 = 165.75mm
Measuring tyre across it's diameter includes 2 sidewalls so 165.75x2 = 331.5mm in 2 sidewalls
The sidewalls sit on the wheel itself which is 16inch = 406.4mm
406.4+331.5 = 737.9mm = 29.05118"

255/70/16
178.5 x 2 = 357
406.4 + 357 = 763.4mm = 30.055"

A 720mm diameter LPG tank fits fairly snuggly in a P38 wheel well, doubt there's 43.4mm clearance at narrowest (front to rear?) point.

It's a hell of a lot easier to just put the tyre sizes into the calculator I linked to. If you use the tyre comparison tab, you can enter two tyre sizes and it calculates Diameter, Width, Sidewall height, Circumference and Revs per Mile. It also shows pictures of the two tyres side by side as well as speedo error.

Yokohama Geolander A/T. 265/70 in 16" flavour.

Quiet, good in wet, excellent in mudslides, fine in the jungle. Don't fit in the spare wheel well!

Originally wanted BFG, but not obtainable, however, been very happy with the Yokos.

Does anyone in this group here have experience of Klieber Citylander tyres ?

There was someone in the discussion on the other side (who I think is now also on here) that went for the Klebers and rated them very highly. I also considered them but went with the Vredestein Duatrac 5 in the end which are superb if you want an all season road tyre.

Thanks, I have decided to go with General Grabber AT3's from Oponeo. Delivery next week.
AT3's on the front and AT2's on the back, all standard size.