rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

EAS is in pucker order..

However the ride is akin if not worse than my old D2 which has saggy old coils..

Would this be in part to the fact the shockers are original, would it be worth throwing a set of Boge or Bilsteins on it?

Cheers

Originals were Boge. Has it suddenly got worse or has it always been like this?

Hiya

It has always been a bit shat!!

I know you've spent hours polishing it but what have you done to the suspension? Bushes, ball joints, shocks, etc?

lol - the shocks i took off mine did little more than act as height limiters, they went up and down like concertinas. Gas-filled Monroes will give you the best ride for the price IMHO. Bilstein are in a different price bracket. Boge are only available as fronts, for some reason

Mine has the orangish britpart it was hard-ish but acceptable ... they were leaking tho.
I've fitted the Boge (I did find all fours, you just need more ...luck browsing around) and I fitted but I do not like them (made maybe 500km with them), the ride is very soft and comfy but for towing and my driving I need to go back to something firmer. So they will go.
I got a box with some Terrafirmas (standard) but have not fitted them yet.
Wish I had found Monroes ... Bilstein we use them in our Ur-S projects and they are really the best of the bunch, always.

I fitted "OEM" Boge dampers with the correct Land Rover part numbers on the box to mine not that many miles after a bought it as one of the originals was weeping a touch of oil. As I recall it the old, original looking, dampers were still pretty much OK after maybe 75,000 miles. Unfortunately the damper replacement is about the only thing I haven't noted in my service records so I don't know the exact mileage. The new ones were, obviously, a bit better but it certainly wasn't the usual completely knackered to nice new improvement.

About 15,000 miles later it was wobbling around in a near dangerous manner with serious directional stability issues. Despite replacing all the ball joints, pivots, and bushes. I mean it couldn't be the dampers clapping out that fast. Could it! It was!

£350 for four new Bilstein dampers and a steering damper from Paddock Spares later its behaving itself again. The ride is a bit firmer, very much so for the first few hundred miles, but now they are settled in its very "road biased" in nature. About twice the cost of Monroe at Paddock prices but you can pay rather more.

I'm inclined to think that Boge quality isn't what it once was. My boxes said made in Spain.

Clive

I have got Arnott Gen III's with Terrafirma +2" dampers.
Better in all respects except the ride at std height. Spring rate and dampers combine to give a stiffer ride.
If I was replacing dampers now, I would look at the adjustable dampers that Terrafirma do. They are adjustable on the car.
Just dial in what you want.

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/adjustabe-4stage-shock-absorber-front-terrafirma-range-rover-tf176-p-34318.html

I fitted "proper" Boge shocks about two years ago and they lasted about six months. The rubber bushes fell apart, and when I took the shocks off to replace the bushes I found that two were partially seized and two were doing sod all.

So far the Shitpart replacements at a fraction of the price seem to be holding up.

Gilbertd wrote:

I know you've spent hours polishing it but what have you done to the suspension? Bushes, ball joints, shocks, etc?
I fitted new drop links and ARB bushes + radius arm bushes.

And a set of Dunlop air springs..

The Shockers seem to be only thing left. .

Not got poly bushes in it by any chance have you? Like Gordon, I'd go for the Shitpart ones as original Boge are no longer available, cheap, with a warranty and easy to replace when you have to take them off to replace them under warranty.

Gilbertd wrote:

Not got poly bushes in it by any chance have you? Like Gordon, I'd go for the Shitpart ones as original Boge are no longer available, cheap, with a warranty and easy to replace when you have to take them off to replace them under warranty.

No standard shitpart bushes!

That might have a lot to do with it.......

With bushes, like a lot of other things on the car, there are usually 3 choices: shitpart, OEM and genuine.
More often than not, I go for OEM. Middle of the road I guess.
It does depend on the part though. Occasionally I do order factory L/R and sometimes even Britpart for non critical items. Pollen filters just recently.

Have a thought about new tyres. Check the date code on them. I ended up putting my old P38 on RR sport 19” wheels before investigating and it made a world of difference.