rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Ok, my on going fight to find the clunk when I turn the steering.. Looks like I might of finally solved the problem, had the car on ramp and floor but couldn't find the clunk, my stepdad walks in and first thing he says upon hearing the clunk, is,,, your chassis has a crack in it, I said don't be stupid.. But as per usual he's was right ( you can grow to not like people, lol) seems that the chassis doesn't like my 20" Khan wheels, the extra pressure of turning the wheels when not moving put a nice crack down the chassis between the steering box mountings, so in a few weeks time when I do the engine change, I'm gonna drop the steering box and get the mig out,,, oh joy !,, don't think I could ever sell this rig, I'd have an advert like a book the amount that's gone into getting it right,, so everyone this is a sign to look out for, also advice of don't change your wheels,,

I can just see the tears if you repair said crack and it still clunks lol

That's an interesting one Chris. <br>
From what I remember your Kahn's didn't look super wide. Do you run a lot of extra offset on them or something? <br>
I've not seen anything like this reported on other forums when others have put beefy boots on. Looks like you've discovered that rare beast- a truly new P38 problem...

OldShep56 wrote:

Don't know about tears, can see a can of petrol and a box of matches

OldShep56 wrote:

It's something my step father has only come across once before, he's such a smart ass, lol, took him 3 days to find before, so I'm lucky in some respects..

Orangebean wrote:

That's an interesting one Chris. <br>
From what I remember your Kahn's didn't look super wide. Do you run a lot of extra offset on them or something? <br>
I've not seen anything like this reported on other forums when others have put beefy boots on. Looks like you've discovered that rare beast- a truly new P38 problem...

Looks like mine has possibly had a front ender before, so could be a weak point, as I mentioned he's only come across this once before, but I'm grateful for his knowledge

Many years ago I got a Citroën GSA off a mate who'd bought it on eBay to save it from the scrappy. It had absolutely rock hard suspension on the driver's side front. Okay, new sphere on that strut - but what's this, those spheres are brand new, they're still shiny box-fresh. Okay, jack it up, have a look, nothing. Let it down. Creak. Jack it up, nothing, pressure off and the ram moves freely, wheel back on, pressure up, let the jack down. Creak.

Hm.

Look under the wheelarch, and there's a crack down the back of the tube that holds the suspension ram where it goes into the end of the front crossmember. Jacked up, the springyness of the crossmember twists it back and closes the crack, with the weight on the wheels it starts to slide - creak - and opens up, putting the ram at quite a steep angle tilted forwards and of course it's jammed solid.

Jack it up, bead of weld down it, back down off the jack, no creak. Sorted.

That's interesting, when my engine comes out in a few weeks, I'm going to strip front right wheel area down, will pop the bag out and have a look, drop steering box, generally have a good look around that wheel arch area, ive changed everything on the axle, so know that's not the problem.. Will report back when I do it..

You know it makes sense :)

Morat wrote:

You know it makes sense :)

Was thinking more of a sticky plaster or duct tape 😀

Pffft, amateur :-)