rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse.
Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1862

Yep, that sounds realistic. My VC issues felt different with random inconsistencies in steering, especially on surface changes or when turning downhill. The box is tight enough.

Member
avatar
Joined: Jun 17 2018
Posts: 467

If her box is that loose "fnarr" then that is probably the issue..

Administrator
Joined: Sep 30 2016
Posts: 43

It's quite easy to get at the steering UJ from the side, if you take the inner wheelarch liner out. It might even be easier to pull the driver's side wing entirely.

Member
Joined: Dec 29 2016
Posts: 306

I changed everything over last night.

It was very easy with the wheel arch liner out of the way. Rave said to remove the windscreen washer bottle but I didn't need to do that either. A little bit of wriggling and it came out.

The new (used) steering box, steering link arm, track rod and drag link have been fitted. The tracking is now out but I need my new rear height sensors to arrive so I can calibrate it before having the tracking done.

I drove it up the road last night and it felt much better but it was difficult to tell! Fingers crossed the sensors arrive quickly!

David.

Member
Joined: Dec 29 2016
Posts: 306

The new height sensors arrived today so I fitted them and got Testbook out to calibrate it.

I got a couple of niggles during calibration and my Suspension Inhibit switch was constantly illuminated despite not being latched. I had a new switch delivered and changed that over to no avail.

Thanks to a nudge from Marty I had a look at the plugs in the NS footwell and found a bit of carnage going on there...

enter image description here

enter image description here

There was a pin so badly corroded in each plug that it had snapped so I've soldered them this evening.

I sorted them out and much to my annoyance the inhibit switch was still illuminated.

I then decided to change the ECU for a spare that I'd decided to buy from a breaker recently. Hooray! The light has gone out.

After that, I managed to get it to take a calibration properly using Testbook and it's now sitting nice and level again.

I had a very brief run up the road as the tracking is out and the steering wheel finally feels like it's connected to the front wheels! If I had to put my money on one component for causing it I'd put it on the steering link arm from the column to the steering box. Holding the link in the vice and twisting it with a spanner you can see the rubber piece in it flex. Not much and it needs a fair bit of effort but I can only imagine that with the extra weight and force exerted on it when in the car it was awful!

Anyway, tracking next and then hopefully one car is nearly finished!

David.