rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Does anyone make a twin exhaust setup for a P38 that actually fits, that isn't genuine LR prices?

Just 'fitted' an allmakes rear section and its absolute crap. Admittedly, not quite as bad as the eBay stainless special. But the welder still had to come out to completely rearrange one hanger, and the backbox on the opposite side is now resting nicely against the tie down loop.

I've got the Allmakes and it took a bit of fiddling to get it hanging level. Initially I had one side against the tie down but by adjusting how far it was pushed into the joint I got it right.

I am utterly sick to the back teeth of exhausts that don't fit properly on P38's.

I've heard that the Double S stainless ones fit well without any adjustment so that's where my money is going next time. Island 4x4 seem to be the cheapest supplier of them that I've found too.

Standard:

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/exhaust-4046-petrol-twin-da4240-p-14283.html

Sports Exhaust (Quad pipes):

https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/sports-exhaust-4046-da4245-p-14288.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-P38-4-0-4-6-V8-TWIN-REAR-EXHAUST-BOXES-96-02-NEW-/271447696218?hash=item3f338b235a
absolutely spot on.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I'll keep that eBay one in mind - considering it took Island4x4 3 weeks to get this junk to me, I wish I'd just gotten one on eBay in the first place.

Rimmer Bros quad stainless setup fits really quite well..

Ebay specials aren't too bad either, my Hammer came out to adjust my midsection LOL

Rimmers had a sale on (a while ago now) for stainless front pipes with sport cats. I'd not long fitted a locally sourced mild steel middle and back box, but the fronts were knackered, couldn't be found here and, well, the new ones were shiny and lovely. So I took the plunge.

enter image description here

Although Rimmers' site didn't specify manufacturer, turned out they were Triple S, and fitted beautifully at both ends, manifold and centre box. Also in two parts, so whilst I had to remove the gearbox X-member to get the old pipes out, next time, if I need to remove them for any reason, I won't.

When I need to do the rest of the system, I'll be looking hard at SSS for replacement.

That actually looks like it will flow fairly well too! The joints on the cheap cat section I bought all look quite restrictive...

Not that it matters so much now - I'll be on the lookout for a diesel cat section soon hopefully.

Now you've made me look at my brand new (warranty replacement) back boxes and yes, one is an inch higher than the other. I didn't care before :(

Sorry :(

I mean... How is it so hard to make an exhaust that fits properly?

Thats not specifically a p38 problem, there are lots of other vehicles that have problems with pattern exhausts fitting well, its sometimes a case of luck. Doesn't help with some where they have been given a battering by the delivery service either.

The exhaust on the Disco when it was replaced, was a mixture of brands. I was fully expecting the backbox to be the cause of problems (as it turned up with a Britpart label on it) and was very surprised when it actually fitted without having to alter it in some way. Thats been about the only pattern exhaust I've had that went together like it was supposed to without having to modify it in someway.

In the past I've had exhausts custom made and a pattern made so they can be duplicated. It's not easy and even with computer controlled bending machines there can easily be slight variations. But, why are they all so complex? I mentioned to someone once that I could never understand why there were so many variations in brake pads. I mean, car manufacturers don't make brake callipers, the likes of TRW, Girling, Brembo, etc make them so why are they different on every car? If they made tiny callipers, small callipers, medium callipers and bloody great big callipers, then there would be one to suit every model of car and only 4 different sets of brake pads. He commented that you could say the same for exhausts if they were all made flexible, then only the pipe diameter and length would be relevant.

Spot on! Especially for calipers ... what a commercial mess!

Oh well, back on the subject ... I bought couple back boxes from here, but haven't fit them yet. Hope I did not make a mistake ...https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/regisexhausts

George those downpipes+cats look great! Can you point me out to where to find them? I plan to replace my cats as I believe after 270K km it came time, plus I need to change the exhaust anyway .... thanks! Triple S search on the net gives nothing ...

You should price up a local custom exhaust shop, they can actually be cheaper than you'd imagine.

On mine, the exhaust was wrecked. I'd found a used "streight thru" stainless rear pipe on ebay, but needed a middle section and maybe even a Y pipe. Took it along to my local exhaust fabricator, and they made up a system which started after the cats, and had a new Y piece and a middle box and it cost less than buying the bits in stainless off ebay.

Aragorn, if you were to see the quality of the "local builders" here in Bulgaria you would be horrified ... no way I am using this alternative ... especially for cats :-)

leolito wrote:

George those downpipes+cats look great! Can you point me out to where to find them? I plan to replace my cats as I believe after 270K km it came time, plus I need to change the exhaust anyway .... thanks! Triple S search on the net gives nothing ...

Came from Rimmers, like this:

https://rimmerbros.com/ItemList--Range-Rover-P38-SS-Sports-CATs-free-flow--m-17544

Not cheap, but a sale came up at just the right time so the savings (nearly) covered shipping and duty.

Didn't realise they were Triple S until delivery. Rimmers don't mention it.

Maybe they have a couple of suppliers and I dropped lucky?

thanks but ... ugh. Too much .... will stick to the ebay maltese option :-)