rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse.
Member
Joined: Aug 30 2020
Posts: 12

My L322 had 90k on the clock and lpg fitted (without flashlube) and is now on 140k and still fine.
I think a lot of the scare stories about weak valve seats are down to a poor lpg install.
As to LZ, I'm taking a break for a while due to one member being obnoxious when called out for telling porkies. His stock insult is calling everyone "happy amateurs" what he doesn't get is that without happy amateurs, the site will quickly become irrelevant.
Forums, by their nature, are made up mainly of said HA and without them they would not exist.
I may go back at some point but even though I haven't posted for a week, he's still banging on about it so it looks less and less likely by the day.
Shane because there are some great people there and lots of excellent knowledge.

Member
avatar
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 4921

I take it he's a mechanic then so considers himself a professional? Might be worth pointing out to him that the dictionary definition of a professional is someone that does something for money not that he does it properly, just that he gets paid for bodging someone else's car rather than doing it for free......

A poor LPG install causing the engine to run lean will burn the valve seats but it is well known that the grade of steel used by Ford is softer than that used by some other manufacturers (although nothing like as soft as that used by the Japs). As you say, to a large extent it will depend on the system fitted, how well, how well calibrated and how the car is driven.

Administrator
Joined: Sep 30 2016
Posts: 54

His stock insult is calling everyone "happy amateurs" what he doesn't get is that without happy amateurs, the site will quickly become irrelevant.

Aren't we all "happy amateurs" at something? I'm only just learning how to fix cars, but given that I've been only just learning about it for nearly 40 years there are a few things I'm not too bad at... ;-)

Member
Joined: Feb 24 2017
Posts: 214

I had a nice thread going about rebuilding the LINLEY with photos and a type of documentary of the project until that Ahole at RR.net decided that I was asking too many questions and banned me. Well he banned me for me pointing out that it would probably take less time for him to answer my question than to take the time and type a rant informing me that the information I was seeking could be found in the RAVE.
There was a lot of interest in that project on RR.net and because of the mo%on named after a frog, it came to an abrupt end. While the posts are still there, the documentation of its completion and the photos associated with it are not.
I believe that he is not online as much these days because his mom shut off the internet in the basement where he lives until such time as he makes his bed and cuts the grass...

Member
Joined: Apr 23 2019
Posts: 572

It often happens that the old hands get weary of answering people's questions and then find it easier to write a sarky response - forgetting that these sites are self-generating and just passing the baton to "the next generation". Both rr.net and lz suffered/ suffer from the emperor-syndrome - but rr.net has moved on - LZ has yet to do so

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 2004

I'm looking forward to knowing everything so I can be a complete twat to people who dare ask the same question I learned from 10 years ago.

Member
avatar
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 4921

Gordonjcp-adm wrote:

Aren't we all "happy amateurs" at something? I'm only just learning how to fix cars, but given that I've been only just learning about it for nearly 40 years there are a few things I'm not too bad at... ;-)

I started learning how to rebuild engines at the age of 11 but experience of decoking a 600cc, flat twin, sidevalve, aircooled engine doesn't help me a lot with a P38. There's still things I will steer clear of, as I demonstrated a few weeks ago, I can pull the heads and replace the gaskets in a day but the deepest I will go into an auto gearbox is to change the filter. As far as I am concerned, auto gearboxes operate by fairy dust and magic.

Member
Joined: Feb 11 2018
Posts: 399

Wazzajnr wrote:

My L322 had 90k on the clock and lpg fitted (without flashlube) and is now on 140k and still fine.
I think a lot of the scare stories about weak valve seats are down to a poor lpg install.
As to LZ, I'm taking a break for a while due to one member being obnoxious when called out for telling porkies. His stock insult is calling everyone "happy amateurs" what he doesn't get is that without happy amateurs, the site will quickly become irrelevant.
Forums, by their nature, are made up mainly of said HA and without them they would not exist.
I may go back at some point but even though I haven't posted for a week, he's still banging on about it so it looks less and less likely by the day.
Shane because there are some great people there and lots of excellent knowledge.

Didn't start with w did it?

Member
Joined: Aug 30 2020
Posts: 12

tanis8472 wrote:

Wazzajnr wrote:

My L322 had 90k on the clock and lpg fitted (without flashlube) and is now on 140k and still fine.
I think a lot of the scare stories about weak valve seats are down to a poor lpg install.
As to LZ, I'm taking a break for a while due to one member being obnoxious when called out for telling porkies. His stock insult is calling everyone "happy amateurs" what he doesn't get is that without happy amateurs, the site will quickly become irrelevant.
Forums, by their nature, are made up mainly of said HA and without them they would not exist.
I may go back at some point but even though I haven't posted for a week, he's still banging on about it so it looks less and less likely by the day.
Shane because there are some great people there and lots of excellent knowledge.

Didn't start with w did it?
How on earth did you guess that.
It's incredibly amusing watching them keeping my post alive and a guy who is much newer than me calling people "newbs"
Comedy gold! 😁 😁

Member
Joined: Apr 23 2019
Posts: 572

Morat wrote:

I'm looking forward to knowing everything so I can be a complete twat to people who dare ask the same question I learned from 10 years ago.

When are we getting a "like" button

Member
Joined: Feb 11 2018
Posts: 399

Wazzajnr wrote:

tanis8472 wrote:

Wazzajnr wrote:

My L322 had 90k on the clock and lpg fitted (without flashlube) and is now on 140k and still fine.
I think a lot of the scare stories about weak valve seats are down to a poor lpg install.
As to LZ, I'm taking a break for a while due to one member being obnoxious when called out for telling porkies. His stock insult is calling everyone "happy amateurs" what he doesn't get is that without happy amateurs, the site will quickly become irrelevant.
Forums, by their nature, are made up mainly of said HA and without them they would not exist.
I may go back at some point but even though I haven't posted for a week, he's still banging on about it so it looks less and less likely by the day.
Shane because there are some great people there and lots of excellent knowledge.

Didn't start with w did it?
How on earth did you guess that.
It's incredibly amusing watching them keeping my post alive and a guy who is much newer than me calling people "newbs"
Comedy gold! 😁 😁

Easy, I had a falling out with the c%$# too.
I posted on it too. Not much, but enough to point out the problem lol.

Member
Joined: Dec 29 2015
Posts: 752

I'm tempted to jump on and show him the bit of code that runs when the BECM is "fully alarmed" - it'll do fuck all until the timeout passes and then you either need a "magic" Nanocom or a 68HC11 debug cable to wipe it.

Member
Joined: Aug 30 2020
Posts: 12

He won't listen then he will just throw a load of abuse at you.
He certainly wouldn't understand code so you'd be flogging a dead horse.
Might be amusing though watching him try to squirm out of it! 😁 😁

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1211

He won't squirm, he'll just get all aggressive again.

I've had multiple run ins with him over the time I've been on LZ about the exact same thing. I just keep out of it now, because whilst I haven't been called any names because of it, I just cannot be bothered to get into the same argument with someone who won't even try to back up what he's saying with any facts - just the broken record of "you're wrong, you don't know how to use the equipment properly"... Ok, if you believe that's the case then TEACH us how we should be doing it, in your mind... Blatant "you're wrong" and then name calling and crap like that doesn't help anyone.

Member
Joined: Jan 16 2016
Posts: 398

I left LZ for the same reason. I was dave4x4 on there. I didn't like the comments by either W###ers or D###tek.
Because they got away with it, others jumped in as well. I thought I don't need this.
Apparently ex Royal Marine invalided out when he got injured.
I don't know who owns LZ. It has a tie up with Emmotts of Colne and I suspected maybe W###ers was latterly a workshop foreman.

Member
Joined: Aug 30 2020
Posts: 12

Datatek has left too because of wammers.
I didn't have any issue with data, in fact it was sometimes quite amusing when the pair of them locked horns.
I was prepared to give LZ another shot after a while but reading my leaving post and the crap he's put on there makes me not want to go back.
I guess they will have to find someone else to host their repository of range rover info as I'm not leaving a live link to my Dropbox on a site I don't frequent.

Member
avatar
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 4921

Bung it up in here then https://rangerovers.pub/topic/1372-handy-downloads

Member
Joined: Aug 30 2020
Posts: 12

Ok, I have a shed ton of Dropbox space available and I have a lot of rr stuff in there but I don't want to end up having multiple copies of the same thing.
Just had a read of the post you linked and it looks like you might have most of what I have anyway.

Member
Joined: Jan 16 2016
Posts: 398

I have mixed feelings about D###tek. He invited me down to stay with him at his place in the south of France or rather park my caravan up in his field outside. He has a french wife. Never met him though. Told me a story about loosing a patent infringement case over some electronic gizmo he designed. Cost him dearly apparently.

Changing the subject ........ I have set up my own server using a raspberry pi zero. Cost me all of £10.
I have a stack of L/R technical documents and I downloaded all of the RR.net pages when that nice guy posted the link a while back.
It works and can be accessed via the net. I have the domain name: landrover.stufftoread.com
It is not switched on at the moment however. It is not secure and the front end needs setting up. It just lists a stack of files.
I am trying to get to grips with HTML language but I think I have lost too many brain cells.

Member
Joined: Aug 07 2019
Posts: 193

the first sign of defeat is to abuse you and then threaten you. sounds like a real looser with attitude . my brother was in the Aust armed forces as an instructor, he would take idiots like this and force walk them a 100kms with full pack though the dessert , none of them made it, but they lost the attitude. it was a 24hr trip that only a hand full of men could