rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Anyone going next weekend? As it's only a couple of miles from my place, I'll probably wander down there.

Don't think I will be <br>
Did a quick 500 mile day-trip yesterday, the last 200 of which I had to do on petrol due to my gas tanks steadfastly refusing to fill. My wallet is still in shock from the experience of seeing large amounts of very expensive product being converted into noise and movement. <br>
No way is that car moving again until I've worked out why I can't get any LPG into it!

Nope, I'm cycling the Way of the Roses with a few mates via some selected hostelries this weekend. But do report back! If it's fun I'd be up for it next year - maybe in the Jeep :D

Orangebean, that sounds expensive :( Are your tanks single hole or multi-hole? Are they filled separately or from a single point?

Single point fill. I'm suspecting the bayonet adaptor lugs are worn, so that's first on the list to be replaced. Have had a couple of experiences before where the tanks were slow to fill and pump kept cutting out, but never where, in this case, the nozzle wouldn't "dock" and latch properly. Tried 3 different pumps :-( <br>
Oh, and the stereo head unit went phut 5 mins into the trip. Nothing to listen to apart from my money being blown out of the exhaust...

That abba song comes to mind, money, money , money,, lol,, I've had mine take a while and fill slowly for the first tenner when I've run it out, but never refuse to fill. I'd grab a new nozzle and plonk that on, must be cheapest start,, fingers crossed for you

Gilbertd wrote:

Anyone going next weekend? As it's only a couple of miles from my place, I'll probably wander down there.

Might give it a go, let me know where and when

I am, ordered our tickets earlier today. Got a ticket for the off road course too.

What day are you going? The off road course is on the way home for you anyway, do they allow spectators?

Chris, if you want to meet up, I'll PM you my address. You'll be coming past mine on the way to the showground anyway.

We're going to the show on the Saturday and are doing the off road course on the Sunday. They do allow spectators but we might already have some - just waiting to hear from a couple of guys at work.

Bit of an anti-climax really. There seemed to be a lot more there last year than this. Not so many stands selling secondhand bits and those that were there seemed to be selling mainly Defender and Discovery bits, very little P38 stuff at all. In fact, the P38 seemed conspicuous by it's absence. There were probably more Range Rover Classics than P38s. The car park was full of Defenders and Discos with hardly a P38 to be seen.

You know what it's like being banned, but a whole model range???

It was a bit like that at a recent Beaulieu auto jumble. There was a Land Rover field, but no P38s to be seen in it.

Sounds like I didn't miss much, got caught up fighting heat shields on a 94 4.6.
Seems a shame that not much part wise for p38s, but seems as though we always get caned anyway, every other land rover has cheaper parts ☹️

I think the electronics put a lot of the enthusiasts off. A good chunk of the landy fanbase think the 300tdi is the best engine ever made, and even the td5 is devils work. It's not really a surprise there's more classics, they're still regarded as a "proper" landrover.
So the p38 gets lumped in with all the newer range rovers, which essentially went towards the luxury car market than off roaders, and now they're too old to qualify as a luxury car so you hardly see any.

There's not that much electronics and if they were any more old-fashioned the BeCM would be full of valves!

yeh, your right, because you have actually looked properly and realised that. But they have a serious stigma, not helped by the fact that they were one of the first cars to run a body ECU, in a time when garages werent equipped with diagnostic kit and whatnot. That then grows arms and legs and turns into horror stories relayed by folk who havent a clue. Modern stuff is far more complex, but diag kit has vastly improved as well, and often has become more standardised, so its much less of a problem. Every garage will have some sort of fault code scanner these days.

A few landrover mates of mine did the whole "a p38? Are you mental?" when i told them i'd bought mine.

Having bought mine and started looking into the issues, i've realised its all actually quite simple, and really most of the common faults arent that big a deal. The usual problems are often a result of multiple issues, compounding together, due to careless owners etc.

EG someone will lose a key, but wont replace it as landrover made it awkward, then the remaining fob will die, so they'll use the door lock instead, then the door lock microswitch will fail and they're now stuck with a car they cant get into and has immobilised itself. At which point its "OMG P38's suck", when the reality is, they've created the problem themselves over a long period of months by not fixing things properly.

You have got it spot on. The EAS is the same, airsprings perish and start to leak so the pump works overtime and either wears out or burns itself out. As nobody seems to understand it, they take the option that they do understand, big thick bits of bent wire. Then you get adverts claiming that the 'troublesome' EAS has been replaced and touting it as an advantage.

We were disappointed by the lack of P38 stuff at the show too.

We did see one of the rubber bumper/bull bars for sale that interested us but I didn't want to buy it from Avenger 4x4. He tried to tell me my car was basically written off and needed a new engine when all it really needed was a simple gasket changing. I don't really like people that "know" things without actually looking at them....

Other than that, very slim pickings. We were on the look out for a radiator, boot mat, some door handles and some off road protection. To be honest, I really didn't expect to find any of the last one so wasn't too disappointed with that but the lack any anything else was a little annoying. We really are the forgotten Land Rover in this country!

Was enjoyable to walk around, would have been more so if it had been warmer yesterday.

We did the off course today and that was good fun. Got to the end of the course with two hills to go up. One designated hard, the other designated easy. Opted for the "hard" route to be met with some skepticism. The car strolled straight up, no problem. The marshals at the top of the hill full of surprise and calling out "Nicely done!".

Parked up and walked back to watch the final hill and saw every one after us opting for the easy route - including some lifted/modified Defenders.

Felt good watching them pansy out of the harder stuff :P

You guys have reminded me that I really should look in to why my remote locking no longer works after having the BECM unlocked following its trip to Marty to be unlocked earlier in the year.

I am still intrigued by it not working too...

if you are down Swindon way at some point, then give me a shout, as I can now test key fobs - and decode the transmission from them to get the fob code being transmitted. I can then double-check that it matches what the BECM has stored and check everything else out for you...

I'll go buy a fresh battery for the fob tomorrow, start simple as you suggested over on the other forum