rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hi, can anyone suggest an upholstery company in Edinburgh, to retrim the roof lining in my P38 ?

I have emailed:
Tom Kelly in West Gorgie Park and
Samco

but any other contacts would be appreciated. But in Edinburgh or surrounding districts. Please don't suggest guys in Newcastle on Tyne, or Manchester or somewhere else miles away 😀.

I want to get the roof lining redone in the summer - provided that we can finally travel !!! 😂

I know a lot of guys have done this themselves but, to be really honest, I would find this a bit too big to do myself, especially outside on the drive, on my own.

Pierre3.

I ve got a Web address of someone who does the kits for you to do it your self and he posts them out to you
it not to big a job to do your self I did mine on the drive way my self

Martrim (https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/range-rover-headlining-kits.php) do the kit but you do ideally need 2 people (3 makes it even easier). Your biggest problem is going to be if you are in ROI, nobody is allowed to send the adhesive so you will need to source that yourself and I hate to imagine what a courier would charge to ship one (and what state it will be in when they've folded it up to fit in their van).

Looks like Pierre thought his way round that with the Edinburgh location for exactly that reason, to get round the problems you highlighted. Though maybe he could find his way down to the summer camp if its allowed to happen if his plans change?

Also found that before the current obstacles (Brexit) getting couriers to send stuff to ROI was interesting. Tended to be a case of "it will get there when it gets there" was the attitude of most. To the point that when I was installing tills over there, I had to bring back a load of kit and ferry just as much about the place to get the job done, whereas anywhere else it would be sent to site and picked up from site in most cases. Came back with the back of the car stacked out to the point it drew the attention of the customs folk till they actually looked more closely at it, and realised most of it wasn't of any real value and was clearly packed for disposal purposes. I can only imagine it would be much more difficult now with the added paperwork to deal with.

Hi, I was going to order from Martrim but the issue of trying to do it on my own I feel is too big. If I had someone to help then it might be different.

As mentioned above, the problems now associated with trying to bring in the materials are another issue, along with the fact that I can't import the adhesive. Trying to get the correct product is quite tricky, any of the products listed in the UK are not really easily available in Ireland.

I got a roll of Oatmeal from Martrim last year, but having looked at it and compared it to the roof lining in the vehicle I think the colour is much to light to suit the Lightstone leather. I found that Cashmere from Woolies is a better match.

I expect to be in Edinburgh some time during the summer, if we are allowed to travel, and I would take the opportunity to get the headlining replaced at that time. I know of only one guy in Dublin so the price is determined by supply, and he is looking for around €700 to do the job.

Pierre3.

I am about to start on my own headlining. I had a look at Martrim and they are only 17 miles away from where I live. They are based in Sandbach, Cheshire. I was going to pop round there this week to have a look at the colours they have. They are showing 6 for a RangeRover:
Cashmere, Champagne, Grey, Oatmeal, Silver Grey and Black.
I have got black leather seats with ash grey trim panels lower down and I think I have lightstone above that. Looking on their website, I think Grey would be the best match but I would like to see samples in the daylight first.
I did toy with the idea of changing the headlining colour to black, it would go better with my car which is Blenhein Silver. Problem is all the fittings would then be the wrong colour like sun visors, grab handles and pillar trims. It would then be a mega job painting and retrimming everything.
Mukiwa (Hoppy) also recommended fitting sound deadening panels to the inside of the roof while the panel is out. Reckons it makes a big difference. Anyone tried this?

I looked at the Martrim linings but I think that Woolies has better colours, - but- as you note, you are very close to Martrim so it would make sense to buy from them.

I bought a roll of Oatmeal lining material based on Martrims recommendation but, having received it, I think that is too grey for the Lightstone leather interior. A guy that I know, from whom I got a quote to do the lining, showed me the Cashmere lining and I think that it is a much warmer look, and is a bit better of a match for the Lightstone.

Oatmeal may be closer, but I think that Casmere looks a bit "richer".

Adding soundproofing between the headling panel and the roof may be a very good idea and I might consider it myself. The only issue that I can see, and it has been brought up by guys in the States, is making absolutely sure that any adhesive is really high temperature stuff. Quite a number of guys have said that they have had issues later due to the very high temperatures in the American west, because the adhesive loses stickiness because the roof steel gets so hot.

It would be rare for us to see those temperatures but even if we have a good sunny, summers day the roof of the vehicle could easily be 40 degrees, if not more. I would be worried that the glue would come unstuck above the headling panel, and the insulation material would flop down inbetween the two panel, the roof and the headlining. It would be a real pain to have to take everything out again to sort it out.

Maybe the air gap is there for a reason ?

I wouldn't fancy making a big change to the roof lining colour because of the difference in colours, clashing with the existing upholstery. If it was a couple of shades different then it would probably work OK, like using either Oatmeal or Casmere in my vehicle. But I don't think that I would use silver or white, for instance, as the colour difference would be too great. But Grey or Oatmeal [which is almost Grey in the daylight] would probably work and make the interior a bit lighter.

I guess the only way is to go to Martrims place a get a look at the material in the daylight, and see what you think, but I wouldn't personally use black as I think black just makes everything dark and gloomy and makes the interior look smaller.

I looked at buying an E-class Merc or a 5 series BMW two years ago and everything was black interiors. I went to a number of main dealers looking at 2 year old [or thereabouts] models and I remember that I saw one Merc that wasn't black interir - and it was red !!

I bought a Lexus IS300h with cream leather instead.

Pierre3

Yes, I think you are right. I will try and match it to what is already there rather than changing colour.

I bought some soundproofing panels last year to line an acoustic enclosure I built for a generator. I have had good experience with them and would buy the same again if I was going to do it. Sort of like a bituminised panel about 1/4" to 3/8" thick. They are quite heavy and have a peel off backing.
No way would they move. They can also withstand high'ish temps.like right next to a petrol generator in a box.

I would go with Martrims adhesive for the actual headlining. The job is expanding into a bigger job now.

The lockdown is not helping either. Can't get any mates to come round and help. In the UK, there is a rule of 6 meeting outdoors from 29th March I think.

There is but if you offer to pay your mates (in beer or whatever) then them coming to you is for work which is allowed.

Ah-ha, Gilbert is flaunting the rules 😃, honestly, encouraging people to break the rules by offering them beer.

What time do you want me round ???

I did some reading up, this afternoon, on the heat and sound-deadening material that glues to the roof. I did notice that one product was listed as a bitumin backed roll that is extremely adhesive. I hadn't realised that there are so many super-sticky products about, but, my-my, some of them are expensive.

As you say, Dave3d, it is turning into quite a big job. I do know that I would have to add an extra €300 or thereabouts to the guy who quoted me to reline the headlining. As I mentioned earlier I was quoted around €700 to remove the old lining and re-upholster the roof panel, so you can imagine if I ask him to include sound deadening as well it will cost me an arm and a leg. Easy enough if I had leprosy but he wants real money apparently 😅

Pierre3.

This is the sound deadening I used:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Sound-Deadening-Mat-2-5mm-Silver-10-Sheets-Pack-300mm-x-400mm-Car-Van/154131444403?hash=item23e2f332b3:g:oPEAAOSw-qlfgKEO
It is a big area so it would need a lot of panels.

Pierre, you really should consider doing the job yourself and find an extra pair of hands to help. That labour charge you have been quoted is high.

Also I don't want my mates coming round and doing my headlining half pissed.

addendum: the roof is about 5ft wide inside and say 12 ft long? 60 sq. ft area or 5 packs of accoustic panels @ £36 ... £180 total.

Richard, what colour was the headlining we put in during Summer Camp? I know it was Martrim.. and I'm very happy with it. Eyes vary of course.

Pierre, just to add my two pennyworth. As others will know I am the least competent member of this group but I managed to make a pretty reasonable job of doing my own headlining. It is easier without seats in but still doable with them in. The only part you need help with is laying on the new lining after both the fabric and board have been glued.
Martrim supplied my fabric and adhesive and will supply free samples.

Morat wrote:

Richard, what colour was the headlining we put in during Summer Camp? I know it was Martrim.. and I'm very happy with it. Eyes vary of course.

I can't be certain as Marty ordered it but I'm pretty sure it was Oatmeal (yes it was, just found it here https://rangerovers.pub/topic/433-summer-camp-2017?page=6).

Getting the headlining shell out can be done on your own although it is easier with two people, any more and you just get in each others way. Laying the material on does really need two or even three people so it can be held clear of the shell while the spray glue is put on then smoothed down a section at a time. Can't find the thread but someone rigged up a stand to put the roll of material on so could do it on their own.

I appreciate all the information given here, and [damn you all, I'm kind of thinking of doing it myself now 😅 😅 😅] the one thing that I can't quite figure out is how to do the sunroof panel.

I have read pretty well all of previous posts on the forum on how to do the actual roof panel, but I have noticed that when reffering to the sunroof a few people have suggested removing the glass and everything. Do you really have to do this ? After reading about all the breakable bits in the sunroof track I am not sure that I want to try taking the glass out and breaking NLA plastic clips and stuff.

The only thing, I suppose is that, if the sunroof is taken out, a good service and grease can be carried out. But - I am still concerned that I would make a dogs' doo-dah of getting it out. And, currently, I don't have any leaks from the sunroof, although it is a bit slow opening.

I'm very disappointed that no date and invitation has been received for the free beer event at David's relining job. I have just rung social security to see if doing "foreigners" will affect my old age pension and they have said it is OK to be paid in beer provided I drink it all before I arrive back in Ireland. Now all my arrangements are goosed. Damn, damn, damn. I now know how Homer Simpson feels when Moe's Tavern is closed.

I think that I can buy a roll of Cashmere lining from a guy who I believe has a roll, but could someone - anyone - recommend some different adhesives that I could look for here, and that I wouldn't need to import from the UK, which I probably can't do due to the flammible rating. I would have to buy the adhesive here.

I know that it's a cheek but if someone has the time to do a blow by blow account of how to get the sunroof out would be really gratefully received.

And again, thanks for all the advice, support and information.

Pierre3.

The glue I used was 3M Super Trim Adhesive. I bought it at the local auto parts store (I’m in Canada). I’m pretty sure you don’t need to remove the sunroof at all, just the little slider panel that covers it (the recovering of this panel is the only part of the job that I’m not at all happy with). I did my whole job myself. Maybe I shouldn’t have but I’m kind of stubborn.

Harv is spot on, there's no need to remove the glass, just fully open it. The sliding panel has 4 little plastic guides that it runs in to stop it rattling but if you bow the panel downwards in the centre, you can pop it out. The little sliders will ping off in all directions but if you wrap the headlining material around the edges of the panel that will stop it from rattling and you don't actually need them. Put them back if you like but you'll need to very carefully trim the material at the points where they fit.

Harv and Richard are quite right that it is not necessary to remove the glass even though the manual says to do so. If you can pop the panel out it will save a lot of grief. In the end I removed the whole cassette and then the sliding panel can be removed from above but you do need two for that. The spring clips are a pain to fit and as Richard says they are not necessary if the material is wrapped round the panel.

Hi, thanks for all the information.

Unfortunately the weather is due to be bad for the next couple of days but I will take a closer look at it when the weather improves. As it is the material is hanging down on the passenger side of the sunroof panel so I will be able to see what is there.

If the lining is hanging down does that mean that someone has had the sunroof out previously ? It used to annoy me that the little clip that joins the headlining edge trim was missing when I bought the vehicle, and I managed to buy a new one last year although I haven't fitted it yet.

Pierre3.

It's usually just that the adhesive as aged and parted company with the panel. On mine it was dry and dusty on the sunroof panel under the fabric.

The main panel had quite a paste on it which took a bit of getting off.