rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Thanks Tony. Will report back success or otherwise later.
Probably a workshop building day today, apart from getting puncture fixed on old Range, as it'll be tomorrow before all the parts are in.

Pity you are so far away 'cos I have small hands. Can do both the HT lead change in situ and coil pack removal with very little verbal encouragement.

Clive

Clive- please dispatch hands immediately. I'll pay postage!

It looks worse than it is, first time I did the job I opened the hood all the way up and could see the bolts from above, sitting on my knees on the slampanel.
Provided that there is no extra gear in the way (lpg hoses). Once you have done that it is easy peasy, just don't lose the lower bolts, therefore keep them in a few turns.

I agree with Tony, unhook the bonnet stays, you can then look down on the coil pack, it's definitely a job with the coil pack out, I tried with mine in situ, the car won that battle, hands like shovels don't help, lol
If LPG hoses along the firewall like mine, just get a few cable ties and use wipers to hold them up

By unhook the bonnet stays, do you mean unclip the bonnet airsprings at their bottom joint and lift bonnet into it's over-centre/ leaning back "Service" position, or is there another trick I'm missing?

That's what it is. When working outside I secured the bonnet with a small rope from bonnetcatch to tailgatehinge, you don't want the wind smash the bonnet on your back.
Also, when the bonnethinges are worn the bonnet might touch the windscreen in the middle, therefore I did not open the bonnet all the way over the top but let it hang in the rope.

I know this is not a special LR tool but it works.

Thanks Tony. I thought there were catches that you flipped over to hold it, or am I thinking of the L322?

There are two little clips, one on each hinge. It might be worth padding the windscreen with a blanket or something just in case.

OK, tea break over, back on yer 'ead. All back in one piece, even with new badges and after having a bit of a rest (other than 480 miles last Sunday with only half the trim back on) it's back to work for the newly resprayed ex-Plod. 1969 Triumph Bonneville and a 1976 Triumph TR6 on an Ifor Williams CT177 tilting trailer that will be in the South of France by breakfast time tomorrow.

enter image description here

How are you getting on with yours Mark?

Looking good Richard!
Mine's dumped in the workshop. Have got all parts fluids and gaskets to pull top inlet manifold as well as set of brake pads and new accumulator to sort brakes.
Next steps- pull manifold and and attached bits to reveal both coil packs and rocker covers.
Pray that it's rocker gaskets not head gasket!
Leak down test all cylinders
Replace rocker gaskets
Replace HT leads and plugs
Put back together again.
Replace accumulator and pads
Fluid flush and bleed
More prayer
On hold while weathers good for workshop build today
Back on oily stuff tomorrow
Enjoy your French sprint!

A good match Richard, the black grille and bumpers compared to the white body. In general I'm not a fan of white cars, except weddingcars, but this is looking good.
It proves that a P38 can have a reliable second life, new motor, respray and still used for business.
You are on your way already, in case you wonder why upcoming cars flash at you, its the tape missing on your left headlight. :)

I got here this morning and only one person flashed me on the way down so it can't be that bad. It isn't tape either, I masked the area and sprayed it with the bumper paint before going to Latvia but the headlamp wiper covers more of it on that side and has worn it off

At least you know the headlight wiper works on that side!

Aha, that is another solution, painting the area to be covered. The dutch ANWB (AA) sells stickers for those who go to Britain, they don't have permanent life either.
I remember my '65 ish Peugeot 404 had Marchal lamps with a notch you could move to change the lightpattern. Comfy car that was.

I used to use black tape but it would come off when the car was pressure washed and the edges of the tape would damage the headlamp wiper blades. The same would happen with those stick on beam benders that alter the beam pattern. With most of my long journeys being on the wrong side of the road, it didn't really matter if I had a flat cut off which is why I decided to paint the masks on the lights, looks like I need to find better paint though. I've also owned a few cars with either Marchal or Cibie lights where you could alter the dip pattern by rotating the bulb in the holder, a great idea but nobody seems to do it these days other than some very expensive luxury cars with HID lights where you can alter the dip pattern from the onboard computer.

My ST170 headlights have a little lever inside that I can flick up or down to alter the beam. It's a pretty low tech solution and just moves a bar up/down to block the beam.

They are HID lamps but no computer needed to make the change. I really don't understand why such a thing isn't more commonplace.

I agree, it really should be standard. BMWs have done it since at least the 1980s..

Morat wrote:

I agree, it really should be standard.

Or convince those Brits to move to the other side of the road (like Sweden in the sixties)

Ferryman wrote:

Morat wrote:

I agree, it really should be standard.

Or convince those Brits to move to the other side of the road (like Sweden in the sixties)

Only as long as they do it a bit at a time!!! Trucks one week, cars the next and buses and taxis last.