rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Folks,
my wife has failed to start the Range Rover again!
I'm not infront of the vehice right now (being at work) but...
If you can't open the car on the remote and then open it with the key would you expect the alarm the chirp? (and then do it again when you close the door?)
She bottled out and didn't want to try and start the thing in case the sounder went off properly.
Is this likely a case of flat batteries? (they're only about 4 months old)
Or something more sinister?

Can't help with the chirps and consequences etc as I only occasionally lock mine and use the key, but...
Is the light on the fob working when button pressed?
Has she tried standing close to the OSR window then operating the fob?
Has she dropped the fob?
How well trained is she at the EKA process?

If you unlock the door with the key and the microswitches are all working, I thought the alarm was supposed to be disabled. The lights should flash etc as if you'd used the remote. Not had a single chirp before, though...

Could try syncing the key in the door? Are the other doors locking/unlocking when using the key in the door?

I would open it and stick the key in, try to start it, sounds as though it's got interference and not receiving fob signal, worse ways the alarm goes off, not as though anyone pays attention,

These are all good questions! I'll investigate and reply as soon as I can.
Thank you!

The fob batteries were fine (red light came on)
I couldn't remember the procedure for syncing the fob in the door, but I know a 2001 will sync at position 2 so I just stuck the key in and started it. After about 1 second of "Engine Disabled" it started right up.

It seems that tiny fingers have had possession of the remote recently, does it have a rolling code type setup which means it will lose sync after so many button presses away from the vehicle?

Yes. Rolling code system and not that many presses before it looses sync. Managed to loose mine from too many button pushes as a side effect from other troubles. I want to think it was about 10 but you never think to count until afterwards. Dunno how much effect the other issues had either.

Clive

It is a rolling code so yes, if the buttons have been poked many times it will lose sync. The procedure for the earlier cars is to put the key in the door lock, turn to lock, hold it there and press and hold the lock button on the fob until the LED flashes quickly. Then do the same for unlock. However, I think on the later ones, the sync in the ignition does the same job. If it now locks and unlocks on the fob, it does.

Ahah, mystery solved :)
I'll try to make sure the key goes on the peg, out of reach!
Thanks all!