rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

The big red beast and I toddled off down to Hailsham, well nearly, Lower Dicker actually, for a look at that 2001 HSE with barely 35,000 on the clock. As expected it was smart, very smart confirming my opinion that dark green paintwork and lightstone interior is the best colour combination for a P38. It also reminded me that lightstone shows seat squab wear where you slide in and out very rapidly indeed. As might be expected from the miles this one had done a fair bit of short trip work which really showed up on the drivers seat. Pity. About the only interior deficiency. Started easily from cold running up smooth and sweet. A quick amble round the industrial estate showed it to be a bit tighter than mine but, given mine is due for a good go through, the differnce was smaller than expected. Suspension got a decent work out. Its approaching forty years since I was last down that way. Road surface was poor then and nowt seems to have been done since. The natives don't drive striaght down their own side of the road with ordianry cars!

Not as good as I'd hoped underneath. Better than mine yes but similar amount of the wire brush, rust-killer paint and Waxoyl, Dintrol or whatever needed. Just lots more aging paint and less rust. Like mine 3 years back. Still got factory exhaust. Why can't they make replacements as quiet. Air suspension did its stuff as it should and the owner said, without prompting, that coil spring conversion folk were nuts "It came from the factory riding on air so why change everything instead of looking after it properly". Yay. Our kind of guy. He'd been told it would soon need new airbus so there is a set to go with it. Didn't seem so to me but it has been looked after a combination of DIY and non-RR mechanics which on the face of it is odd given that there is a respected Indie in Hailsham. I knew the ABS & Traction control were showing faults so I took the Lynx to check codes. Lynx said 4125 left hand rear, short between sensors, hopefully just sensor replacement would fix it. 4066 left hand front showed up as historical. DIY fixed apparently.

Will I buy it? Thought probably would when I left but by now shading to probably not. A year and 50,000 miles younger is attractive but being retired guy where 5,000 miles is a high mileage year big red is unlikely to wear out. Would need to find and fit roof rails and reversing sensors. Underneath work will be similar and the solid rear brke pipe across the axle is on the advisories list from the last MoT. Not the sort of job I wanna buy. Big red has a droopy headlining and leaky aircon evaporator but I have the air-con bits and headlinings aren't silly expensive to do so he won't cost much more to get back into proper trim. Black upholstery may not be as smart as lightstone but its a lot more practical when you use a car as transit van substitute as I often do. Best guess is that I'll drop approaching £1,500 or so on the deal once I'd found a good home for big red so the nicer car probably isn't worth it. Really I'm not that sure how serious the guy is about selling anyway.

Am I talking myself out of a real deal?

Gilbert might be interested to know that the owner before this one used it for his business of hauling classic cars around. Mostly short trips by the look of it.

Clive

I'm always wary of cars with very low mileages for their age. It means they have either spent a lot of time sitting around doing nothing but deteriorate or they've done lots of short trips so nothing every gets properly up to temperature so you get more wear. I haul cars around behind mine but the minimum is 110 miles at a time (the distance from home to Felixstowe to pick them up from the docks) and it always seems to take the first 20 miles or so before it settles down and feels happy. For some reason it wants to cruise 10mph faster once it's the other side of the Channel too and I've always put that down to it getting nice and hot.

I bought the headlining kit from Martrim and it ideally needs 3 people to do it so one can stand either side with a third rollering the material onto the headlining shell. The glue they supply sticks instantly so you have to get it right first time.

Gilbertd wrote:

I bought the headlining kit from Martrim and it ideally needs 3 people to do it so one can stand either side with a third rollering the material onto the headlining shell. The glue they supply sticks instantly so you have to get it right first time.

Threadjack - but that sounds like an ideal project for another $SeasonCamp I need mine done, and I'm sure we could find a third without looking too far!

Mine needs done. Maybe we should start a thread on "group stuff to buy into and do".

My headlining is sagging aswell and needs doing - likewise on my other 2 P38's... so I've got a total of 3 to do! I've got one old headlining board with sunroof cutout to strip/re-trim which will hopefully make it a bit easier.

Back on topic ish..... how much was the 35000 mile HSE?

I fixed my Arabian tent with a stapler, it sits already since spring. Other things call for priority.

Martyuk wrote:

Back on topic ish..... how much was the 35000 mile HSE?

It's this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-P38-4-0-HSE-35-493-miles-/112168474344

If you thought that was expensive...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-Range-Rover-P38-2-5-TD-DHSE-Diesel-Auto-Just-42-250-miles-Pristine-/282232030029?hash=item41b657034d:g:5roAAOSwA3dYDwbp

For a diseasel?????

Going by the pictures that wildly overpriced deseasel is no better inside and out than the one down Hailsham way I looked at. Underneath! Who knows. Not going to be super wonderful there despite low miles. I reckon 13 - 14 years from new before things start suffering from natural ageing down there. Things like tank straps et al go faster of course. Sunroof and Harman Kardon sound system are not advantages. Gonna leak sometime and we all know about the digital amps. Hailsham one had full set of factory rubber mats including the big one for the boot. Now that is an advantage.

I felt the asking price at Hailsham wasn't unreasonable in car for your money terms but deal didn't really work for me as mine is pretty good.

Clive

Harman-Kardon is the normal system...