rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Slung it in for an MOT at erm... short notice this morning
The garage (excellent work, but notoriously picky on MOTs) came back with rear pads (not a surprise) and front to rear brake pipes x2 6 hrs to replace.
Am I being rinsed? I know these can be a git on some cars but I see varying reports from 1.5hrs each.

They are hidden away so if you wanted to run them over the fuel tank and other bits like the originals, it probably would take that long. If you made up your own pipes so you can re-route them, then it won't take anything like as long.

Gottit. I'll check when they give it back. They're usually happy to do either route but I guess they're a bit miffed that a P38 came in for an MOT and didn't enhance their pension pots :)

Even going over the tank, it can't take that long surely? I didn't find threading the pipe over the tank to be that difficult really.

Don't forget Morat, if you get the lines made in Kunifer, it polishes up beautifully.
Shiny, shiny!

I put an extra joint in the long brake pipe that goes to the LH rear, just inside the RH wheel arch where it goes over the tank. It makes it easier to fit.

Well it's done, and we've got a fresh ticket.
There were some advisories, most of which seem likely to be related to the wiggly front end.
Steering column top bearing worn? New to me!
I'll list them tomorrow...for your sadistic pleasure :)

Advisories
one for the missing seatbelt buckle cover.

Steering column top bearing slightly worn
Anti-roll bar linkage has slight play in a ball joint nearside front (the ARBs have balljoints?)
Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint offside front
Road wheel with a slightly distorted bead rim nearside rear

Brake pipe slightly corroded offside rear

Hmm, I wonder how many of these will turn into a fail by next year, and if any are likely to cause jiggly steering over bumps (especially surface changes)

Steering column bearing probably means that you can move the steering wheel up and down slightly if you heave on it enough but not a particular worry, anti-roll bar does indeed have ball joints. Search for anti roll bar drop links, little rods that fit on each side and join the ends of the anti roll bars to the radius arms with a ball joint on each end and they do wear. Cheap and easy to fit (although an angle rinder is often needed to get the old ones off). Not sure what suspension arm ball joint is being talked about so can't comment. Might be worth asking them to point out which one. So you've got a bent wheel rim, it's a 15 year old car so quite likely someone has clipped a kerb at some time, that's just being picky and the little brake pipes at the rear do corrode. Slobber some grease on it and it won't get any worse.

Thanks Richard, I'll get some grease on the pipe.
I've checked and you can pull the wheel up and down a tiny amount but like you say, it's really no issue.
The garage we used is well known for being picky but at least they're thorough. They replaced the jubillee clip on the radiator -> Expansion tank return pipe to try and stop the slow leak there, which was braver than I was when faced with the chance of snapping off the plastic stub :)

If I remember correctly, the drop links have a space to lock a spanner onto and then undo the nut, but as richard says, if they won't move grab the grinder, there easily accessible.. I'm scratching my head at suspension ball joint as well 🤔

The only suspension ball joints are the ones in the ends of the axle that the steering knuckle bolts to. Other than that, and the drop links already mentioned, there are no ball joints in the suspension system. Radius arms have bushes. The steering linkages have ball joints, yes - but if it was one of those, then it would show up as a steering arm on the advisory, not suspension I would have thought.

Again, I'm a bit miffed by the steering column bearing - unless they feel there is a bit of slop in the steering and just put it down as a bearing, when it's the UJ at the top of the lower steering shaft...

I think we are definitely going to have to organise another 'Season' Camp at some point... seems like there are a lot of niggly things coming up for a few of us...

I was going to say 'winter camp' in January anyone? as I'll be back for a bit then from work, but that would also depend on who wants to brave the cold to do things!

I'd be up for a winter camp! Hopefully I won't have anything pressing needing doing (then again, January is a long way away in P38 world), but up for camp nevertheless. If a BBQ is involved... all the better.

Hmmm maybe I'll start a post about it... I can think of a few of us that need/want headlinings done... would also be able to do a bulk lot of radius arm bushed pressing in/out aswell if people wanted... and maybe a couple of ball joint swaps..

I'm up for camp, with right meds I might manage 2 days, don't mind doing ball joints..

I can give the benefit of my experience with headlinings, especially now I know the areas that need lots and lots of glue.......

I'm all for it, January might be a tad damp... but if we go large on the barbeque we could keep warm!
February might be a little easier on the finances?