rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Only found out about this in the last couple of days, but worth a read for anyone who's passed their test after 1st Jan 1997

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rules-for-towing-a-trailer-or-caravan-with-a-car-from-autumn-2021

Effectively you will automatically get cateorgy BE added to your license at some point in the Autumn, allowing towing of trailers upto 3.5T rather than the previous restrictions. Not exactly the same as those who qualified before, but much closer to it than is currently allowed.

So not rests for trailers anymore. Wow. That's not surprising considering the current muppets in government.

It looks that way as of tomorrow, the last testing date. Theres various changes to Lorry tests as well - https://www.myhermes.co.uk/track#/parcel/C00HHA0024760409/details the main one being fast tracking so you can go straight to driving an Artic without having tests in smaller lorries first....

Bleeding stupid if you ask me. Also doing away with coupling 5th wheel test too.

I'm not sure the old way of letting someone prove they can just about drive a car, and then giving them a license to drive a 7.5t truck based on that, was a good idea to start with either.

I once hired a 7.5 tonne box van, 20 by 8 by 8 foot box on the back of a Ford Cargo chassis. Now I passed my test in 1971, so have the 7.5 tonne clause on my licence but the first thing I thought as I drove off in that thing was, who the hell thought someone who can drive a car can drive something like this? It was nothing like anything I'd ever driven before, a whole new experience.

Mind you, the change is good from my point of view as I've been looking at arranging the BE test for the other half so she can (legally) share the driving when we drive across Europe with a trailer.

I've only just in the last few weeks 3d printed and fitted some blanks for where the twin towing sockets were fitted - I removed them a while ago as the wiring was a mess and the bumper had to come off anyway. Never planned on towing anything properly - left the tow bar there for the 'get off my arse' deterrent...

Guess if I can legally use it, I'll have to sort out a new socket now!

As a regular driver of a car trailer 9and passed the B+E tests accordingly), I think whoever thinks to extend the possibility of driving such convoy without proper practice and verification is nothing short of an idiot.
Then on the other hand, you guys in the island seem to have had (and still do!) your fair share of dim-witted chaps in charge ...

Yes, it seems we elect them into office to keep them from hurting themselves with their stupidity. Not sure its such a good idea really.

I agree with all of you about the new law for towing trailers it's mad
I passed my test in 98 so missed out on licence B+E
I've got my class 2 HGV licence (drive up to 32tonne)
done my tractor test to so at work I could drive and pull trailer I did forestry work so at age of 18 I was driving a fast track JCB pulling a trailer full of timber round but couldn't pull a trailer on my car licence so I think I've got a bit of experience pulling trailers.
now the law has changed I can pull a trailer.
but I scares me to think my work colleague who passed his test in 2010 can now by law pull or work trailer with a 3tonne mini digger on with out any training

Even though I passed my test long before the restrictions came in so I've always had B+E, I did a trailer towing course years ago when we had trailers at work which taught me a lot (like reversing an S bend with a trailer on). Some of the old codgers I've seen towing caravans make me cringe though. Their licence says they can do it but they've obviously never had any training and don't have a clue about loading and weight distribution. Virtually all of the downhill stretches on the French Autoroutes have reduced speed limits for caravans (never worked out if they apply to me too with a car transporter or plant trailer on the back...) for very good reason when you see some of them snaking even on the flat.

Richard tou hit the nail on the head I believe when you take a trailer test it should teach weight distribution and the test should be done with a loaded trailer
when I did my class 2 hgv test it was in a empty 12t box lorry luckily I had driven loads before so knew abit more about pulling away and breaking distance would be greatly affected