rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

My mate in France has just acquired a P38, he did a straight swap for a UK registered, RHD, diesel, Peugeot 406 Coupe which I picked up for him over here 3 years ago for £1200. He became the proud owner of a 1998, 4.6 HSE with an LPG conversion and a leaking water pump. Problem is, he does mechanics, if it goes up and down or round and round, he can get his head around it so an Airtex water pump was ordered and fitted . He does cosmetics, in fact, I think he could give Morat a run for his money (he does all the cosmetic and mechanical work on the cars we import from the US), but he is useless when it comes to electrics. So a P38 maybe isn't the ideal vehicle for him to own. Initially it had a dodgy drivers door latch so it thought the door was always open which caused all sorts of grief with the central locking/immobiliser, etc but that was sorted by pointing him in the direction of Marty and getting a new latch (incidentally, he reckons Marty is a fantastic bloke to deal with for those that weren't already aware). The EAS has had new air springs, and a ton of money spent on it but whoever did it obviously gave up so it has been disabled and a set of Shrader valves fitted so each corner can be pumped up individually. He's put a rebuild kit in the pump and new O rings in the valve block and I'm going down there in a couple of weeks with the Nanocom to recommission the EAS and get it as it should be. Just in case he's cocked it up, I'll also take the valve block and compressor from my SE so I'll have spares if they are needed. He's currently got the EAS MANUAL coming up on the dash so the jumpers have been put in the EAS ECU plug, so they will need to come out too.

However, he called his insurance company to get cover on it and as soon as he told them what vehicle it was, the response was, "So you'll be needing the optional breakdown cover then". Cheeky buggers, but in saying that, he decided to give it an oil and filter change but despite trying 3 different motor factors, nobody had a filter. One offered to order one for him at 24 Euros but warned that it might take a week, so I'll be taking a couple of those down for him too. So if it is that difficult to get something as simple as an oil filter in France, then anything else must be impossible. Only other thing with it is that the HEVAC is missing the fan speed knob and AUTO button. Does anyone have a dead HEVAC that they can be pinched from?

I reckon he can get oil filters if he doesn't mention the words Range Rover!
Here's a French site that supplies and also conveniently lists all the other cars the Bosch 0451 104 014 fits:
http://www.24piecesauto.fr/1156130
I'll bet Marty has a knob!!!

No he doesn't, or not one for a HEVAC anyway, he's already looked. However, I received an email from him earlier today to say that he's found the knob and AUTO button under the drivers seat. Lugs that hold it in place are broken off but he thinks he'll be able to bodge it somehow.

mm, unfortunately all the HEVAC units I have are servicable!

The button doesn't have any mounting lugs on it per se - the two prongs that come out of it are just to locate it to make sure that the 'Auto' text stays horizontal. The 2 clips that hold on are actually on the clear bit in the front panel - so it should still clip on OK, even if the lugs are broken, the 'AUTO' might just spin around.

The 2 clips are different sizes, so the knob will only clip fully one way.

Looks to be getting towards 3D printer time to do replacements for all the ageing plastic bits that break when you try to get them out. Can't be much longer before the price /performance / finish / material choice on hobby level printers gets to the point where that is practical.

Heck I'd drop a grand or two on that sort of toy if it could do something useful without "only a hobby guy would accept it" futzing, persuasion and coercion. Be nice to work material putting on fashion instead of taking off. But then I'm a toolaholic from way back with two decent size lathes, a Bridgeport, shaper and other metal mangling necessities in the man cave.

Clive

Maybe that could be our first group buy? :)