rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Just registered for an account as my friend has a Range she needs help with. I'm a car guy at heart but this will be the first Range Rover I'm tackling.

The car has a slew of issues and I'm about to tackle them one or two at a time.

Wish me luck!

Good luck :) Let's see the list of pain! :D

Welcome aboard and best of luck with tackling the issues.

Apart from simple mechanical things fixing issues one at a time on a P38 with a whole slew of them tends to be slow and unproductive. Best to identify a group that are common to one system and sort the lot in one go.

As per book.

Shortcuts pretty much invariably blow up in your face. Quick ways generally take longer than following the book too. With a few honourable exceptions. When in doubt ask here.

Slew of issues means you are facing "old car blues" partly odd things just ageing out but mostly too many years for the careless or unthinking to do bodges and unorthodox repairs. The truly annoying thing is that fundamentally the P38 is pretty simple. Screwing things up is generally harder than doing it right.

The book is RAVE.

A must have. Not sure where the best download is now but someone will know.

RAVE runs just fine as a computer based system but I printed my download out and slipped the pages into transparent sleeves before assembling into ring binders.

About 3 ft of shelf space!

Transparent sleeves meant that I could assemble an oily finger proof job specific manual into another binder to take down to the car with me. Unlike a Haynes book of errors a ring binder stays flat and open.

I'd struggled through a couple of jobs before doing the printout but the one that convinced me I was right to take the time was an electrical issue. Simple enough except "Where's the poxy multi plug!". RAVE has all the numbers from the circuit diagrams organised, tells you where it is and pretty pictures so you can see what it looks like. Yay. All manuals should be like that. Gawd knows how long I'd have taken to find it without the book 'cos it was about 6 ft away from where I thought it should have been.

Regards

Clive

If you're fixing a slew of problems for a friend --- good luck with the friendship --- P38 is marmite --- you love them or hate them
Myself I wouldn't give a DSE houseroom However V8 that's my passion
So many diesels are neglected and have more issues than I'd care to mention
You definitely need rave and diagnostic
On here you will see just about ever issue p38s suffer from
Mine took about 1 1/2 years of hard work and cash to do --- now it's a show machine while I drive disco 1s daily

If you're at all concerned about the amount of effort and parts you'll need to keep a P38 running, click on my name to the left of this post. That's what I've put on what was a "Minter" since I bought it. There's nothing all that scary, just the constant drip of things that need doing.