rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Old P38 2001 V8 has had the 3 amigos for a while ABS t/C and handbrake light..

Initially I thought it was the accumulator, the abs pump would run for every peddle press, new accumulator fitted and it only runs after 10 pedal presses.

However the lights are still on...

Unfortunately I don't have a nanocom, any ideas as to what the issue could possible be..

I have noticed that if you put moderate pressure on the brake pedal it hits a "hard spot" and then sinks over an inch downwards..

Could air in the system cause an ABS issue? possibly.

Thanks.

Could be air, bleed it as per the book and see if that cures it. It should at least cure the sinking pedal.

Do you get a "traction failure" message?

Where abouts are you, you really want to get a nanocom on it, although the handbrake light is a bit of a clue as its driven directly by the pressure sensor, perhaps its faulty? I think the sensor has a couple outputs, a "medium" pressure one that switches the pump on/off, and a "low" pressure one that brings on the warning light.

Might be worth checking the wiring diagram and having a probe?

It's the TC light that shows low pressure, the red brake light shows that the handbrake is on (conventional switch under the lever) or low brake fluid level (from the sensor on the reservoir).

ABS Fault will normally be followed by Traction Failure as if the ABS isn't working the traction control won't be either. If ABS Fault comes up as soon as the ignition is turned on and before the engine is started, it is failing the initial self test so it might be nothing more serious than an open circuit wheel sensor. If it comes up only once you start moving then it is detecting one sensor giving a reading different to the other three.

When I had that on my td5 it was abs shuttle could it be that ??

Hi, just on this subject, I wonder whether anyone has ever bought parts from LRDirect, Fourtrack Logistics Ltd, Unit 9F, Centurion Court, Leyland ?

I don't have any problem with the company, I have used them quite a few times. What I am wondering is whether there is much point in buying the wheel sensors from them, at £140.00 ? They have a Britpart item at £22.00 and then two further entries, two items for £135.00 [I think I have that right], Britpart OEM, Workshop Approved [whatever that means]; and 1 item for £145.00, Britpart OEM, Workshop Approved [again].

If the latter two are as priced then one entry has the sensors for about £65 each, therefore £135 for two, but the last entry has the sensor for £145 each.

What could the difference be ? I ask because I have to replace one front sensor, for sure, and I may replace the second front sensor while I am at it, although one isn't a problem at the moment.

Pierre3.

I tend to use LRDirect, Island 4x4 and British Parts (britishparts.co.uk). Island usually are slightly cheaper, LRDirect can be relied on to almost always deliver next day and British Parts are less than an hour away so while they may be slightly more expensive than the other two, I can nip down there and pick stuff up if I need it quickly. Not had any complaints with any of them.

But to your point. Not sure what you are looking at but you're not seeing the same as I am. The sensors are STC2786 and looking at the LRDirect site (https://www.lrdirect.com/stc2786-sensor-abs-new-rr-front), there's two options and 3 prices. They have Allmakes at £15.42 or Britpart OEM which means they are genuine Wabco ones but supplied through Britpart. With the Britpart ones, if you buy just one, it will cost you £97.64 but if you buy two (or more) the price drops to £94.09 each. I'm quoting the ex-VAT prices as you won't be paying the VAT (although you have have to pay the ROI equivalent), or are you looking at them priced in Euros (€) but writing Pounds (£)?

I suspect the Allmakes ones will last about a week (although they do have a 1 year warranty) but if the others are OEM, they will be Wabco and will last as long as the originals.

A hint, if you have a UK computer keyboard and don't have a Euro symbol, try AltGr and 4, some keyboards have it marked, others don't.

Perfect, thank you, Richard. Yes, you are right, the price I am looking at is priced in Euro's. I think that their system can tell by the IP address where you are calling from, and they price accordingly.

So, the first one is the Allmakes one, @ €22.16; the second one is a Britpart item, LRD Workshop Approved, 2 sensors @ €135.21 each; the third entry a single Britpart item, LRD Workshop Approved, one sensor @ €145.00.31. Those prices do include taxes, but I can't remember if the price shown will be the same when I actually receive said item in Ireland. I did receive some bits a couple of months ago but my memory is not so good any more, and I don't actually remember having to pay any Irish taxes.

Pierre3.

I’ve also used LR Direct many times and have been very happy with them.

I've used the cheapest ebay ABS sensors on mine. I figure they're cheap and easy to swap, and dont usually cause a failure that means you'll be stuck at the side of the road, unlike say a crank sensor. Can even keep a spare in the boot if your particularly worried.

So far so good. I've had them in the front for many years without any issues.
I've also fitted similarly cheap ones on my A4 and i think had to replace one over 10years.

Oddly enough, i went thru about 4 cheap crank sensors on the P38 until i managed to find a new old stock genuine part.

Hi guys, thanks a lot for all of your advice and information.

I appreciate the advice from Aragorn, but perhaps he will forgive me if I say that I want to do a lasting job with the ABS sensor, in as far as you can do a lasting job with them, the little buggers !!! But I would prefer to pay a little more, maybe around 50% more, for a known reliable product. I honestly am getting too old to be crawling under Mr. P38 to fix his regular oddities when they crop up. I don't mind every couple of months, having to get under once and fix a problem, but not every couple of months all the time. I did that all the time, when I was younger, and working on various Fords, but now I am as old as Mathoeselm's goat !!!

Harv, as with Richards' reply, and my own experience, I have found LRDirect to be good, just provided that they have the part that you need. I like them.

Pierre3.

I went through the ordering process, online, and including shipping the wheel sensors STC2786 come in at €291 including local taxes [I think] and delivery, which is €15.00

The biggest problem with LR Direct is that you can't call the place, the phone number says to use the contact form on the website. It is also quite difficult to use the on-site contact form because most of the pre-prepared entries require an order number or a part number, and there is nowhere to add text. I think that the only line is the last one "Suggestion or other enquiry". Anyway, I just sent an inquiry via "customerservices@lrdirect.com". I did get a reply which says that LR Direct are going to contact their genuine Land Rover suppliers, and see if they can then give me a date for delivery of some wheel/ABS sensors. And I didn't even give them a part number !!

I will await their reply with interest.

Pierre3.

I also bought some on eBay seller RTG Automotive. One failed after about 6 months, and the seller replace immediately for free. Such good service I bought another pair for the other P38.

ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Fits Land Rover Range (1994-2002)