rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I was filling up the Jeep and up rolled a rather tidy looking x reg Vogue in that dark metallic red on what I think what lightstone. Turns out the guy has had it since 2005, it had a rebuilt engine after HG failure at 107k and now has 117k. He's also looking at "tidying up a couple of bits" before getting an L322. I nearly asked him what he wanted for it!
Sadly his talk of how it's now a classic and going up in price sounded the alarm bells, even if I did have the space, money, time, etc etc :)
Still, it was nice to see another good looking one :)

I don't think the value/ price of them has started going up due to them being classic just yet. As time passes the number of cared for low mileage unmolested ones becomes smaller and there's an even smaller number of them that actually sell for any kind of premium.
The amount of time, fettling and polishing you've put in on yours puts it quite high up on the value stakes (to you anyway), buy another one and you'll just end up having to do all the same stuff again.
Time to stop dreaming and learn to love The Duchess again :)

Trying to find unmolested ones, or at least tastefully upgraded ones is getting harder to find alright...

I keep seeing people flogging them on facebook groups and there are a lot fewer of the £500 'spares or repair' vehicles about now, Again, still a few but largely they are issues because people just can't be bothered doing some research and getting stuck in and fixing them.

You won't want to know what I plan on charging for my restored ones... when I FINALLY get them finished...

But nice that there are some others out there that are actually looked after!

Fukk me ................ I think mine might be sold and it seems the guy IS getting a bargain. At least I know it will be looked after though which is all I want.
The thing is, I just know in 6 months time, I'm going to regret selling the Wee Beastie and be cursing the pile of electronic shit I will have bought.

I do love The Duchess :) It's just that when I like a vehicle I suddenly want more of them. If I had my way (and a large lottery win) I'd probably have half a dozen E30 BMWs, Jeep Cherokees and Range Rover P38s. All shiny and ready to go...

AND we're back in the room :)

Yeah, I don't think that the value of P38s is on the rise. There's still too many around for that, even if there are fewer than before. The other problem for them is that they're regarded as the red headed step child of the Land Rover Marque. Even Disco2 owners look down on P38s, until they rust out completely at least. I really wasn't expecting to like the P38 myself but there's something rewarding about something so capable and comfortable, even if it does need a bit of watching.

I'd also say that a forum like this, with knowlegable members, will do more to keep P38s viable as a long term proposition than anything else. I've seen it happen with E30 bmws where the e30zone.co.uk provides a wealth of knowlege which keeps those old beasts on the road and it could just happen here.

They might not be on the increase but they do hold their value.The only money you will lose on it , is the money you invest in keeping it going.

Trying to convince the missus this will look good sat on the drive lol

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510177919328?price-to=20000&postcode=ln118ta&sort=distance&seller-type=trade&price-from=11000&fuel-type=Petrol&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&make=BENTLEY&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

She told me NO :o((((

It'd be sat on the drive for most of its life with fuel consumption like that. Maybe with an LPG conversion?!

OldShep56 wrote:

Trying to convince the missus this will look good sat on the drive lol
She told me NO :o((((

On a thread like this I might not usually join in, except... I've just converted an old 3 series to LPG. could do a great job of converting the Bentley, have red hair, and ...can't see any reason why Disco owners would look down on P38s. I know which I'd rather have any day, and I've driven hundreds of both. Lol.

Simon

enter image description here

Morat wrote:

Even Disco2 owners look down on P38s

It's just jealousy.........

I reckon P38s are better than Discos in just about every way, especially comfort. When someone asks about converting a Disco to LPG I know I'm in for a long chat going through all the possible tank setups, especially if they've been quoted a single price elsewhere (for cylinder in the boot) and it's a 7 seater. What can people possibly prefer about Discos over P38s besides the 7 seat option?

Dare I say it here, I'd rather have the ML than a Disco. I've still got the ML, it's repairs (PAS leak, brake pipe leak and handbrake) will have to wait until I get time. Bought as an emergency holiday car to pull the caravan while carrying 7 people on the day before setting off on holiday, a gamble that paid off. Even the AC worked on it after a trip to Halfords for an AC gas canister, but on return from holiday, just backing the caravan back onto the drive the fanbelt tensioner let go, fixed already,.glad it let go when it did. 7 Seat arrangement on ML has all seats facing forwards, rear row is stow n go which I reckon is preferable to side facing.

I've had a customer ML in the yard since July! I converted this customer's new AMG63 ML around that time, he was supposed to be having a towbar fitted before the LPG conversion but the towbar firm had to cancel, so we arranged that I'd fit the LPG system but fit a temporary filler then I'd complete the install fitting the filler properly on his return after the towbar was fitted. The car I've had since June is his old AMG55 ML, plan was he'd come in the AMG55 to pick up the AMG63 and leave the AMG55 with me to sort out some problems with running on LPG. I sorted the AMG55 within a couple of days but since then I've heard from this customer only a couple of times, he hardly ever replies to emails, txt messages, calls etc. He still needs the filler on the AMG63 fitting properly and to collect his AMG55. Last time he answered was in November, telling me he'd been working outside the country. The 55 is in the way a bit, it's a pita keeping it's tyres inflated, battery charged and shifting it occasionally to keep it in working order.. What do I do? BTW, my ML is a lowly V6 version, I didn't 'claim' the 55 or even borrow it for the holiday lol.

Simon

Bill him for storage :)

Orangebean wrote:

Bill him for storage :)

That may be an option, but, I don't really want to go that route. May need the 63 back for half a day to complete the filler etc so it's got to be at a time to suit us both (not that there haven't been plenty times that would have suited me, it's been all down to him for it not being done) and when he brought the 63 in for conversion it was apparent that it had some dodgy petrol injectors.. so he asked me to change them (all 8!), which I did free of labour charges, I even passed on the receipts from Mercedes so he'd know I wasn't making anything out of injectors, but he spend the best part of £1000 on injectors which neither of us were anticipating, best part of a grand which maybe from his point of view he puts down to extra cost of LPG conversion... Kind of think he's had it tough already, but then again I suppose we both have.Just seems it would be a kick in the teeth to charge storage, I prefer to keep customers happy, and he's a decent bloke.