rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Arse-hats!

Replacing the perished front air-springs today. The front drivers side lower pin has sheared off on trying to withdraw t. The olds springs have alloy base plates so it lloks like the alloy has corroded inside and gripped the pin. Any suggestions before I get the hack saw and tin of swear-words out?

Do the swearing first - oh you already did ! Yes, steel pin, alloy plates, salt/water etc sticks it in there pretty good.... I used a Dremel to flat the end of the pin off then a thin/hard drift to move it in sightly, then repeated the process on the other side. At least the old springs are trash so what's left of the pins can stay in there forever... and the newer designs are plastic not alloy bases.

Do they come with new pins? (just so I know)

The ones I got from ebay did (Dunlops).

Seems to depend on your supplier. I got my Dunlops at a very good price, almost 4 for price of 2, but had to order pins separately. Check.

Clive

I used a crowbar... smacked the narrow end between the alloy base and mount, then gave it some leverage... the pin soon snapped either side and out came the bag!

Good god, it's an older Land Rover product. Why am I pussy-footing around? I shall dig out my larges pry/crow bar and my heaviest tapping stick and have at it! Thanks.

Success, I feel such a fool! I could have had it all finished by now. Instead I've now got to take daughter to dance class and other such domestic nonsense so will now be changing it in the dark. Hopefully I'll get chance to adjust the handbrake before the MoT I had booked for tomorrow morning...