rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

A quick question due to lack of experience of these things. When trying to reverse up a steep incline I really have to rev the engine to get it to move.

Is this normal due to the size of engine and the weight of the vehicle?
Is it indicative of a need for new/more transmission fluid?
Is the reverse clutch within the autobox on its way out?

The vehicle is a 1996 model that has just clocked over 100k.

Cheers,

Smiler.

Not having a diesel to compare with I can't help although I know of one car that wouldn't move at all when parked nose down. It was working perfectly when parked on a steep driveway and then had to be towed back up onto the level. Once on the level it drove fine again and that was down to it being seriously low on transmission fluid.

A '96 should have the dipstick on the gearbox but you need to check it by the correct method. Instructions are all in RAVE...... Oh sorry, had a TH moment there. Check it when cold, start the engine, run through all gears a couple of times and then put it in neutral and check the dipstick with the engine still running.

I had a 98 dse, the gearbox was the same power in reverse as going forward, check the fluid as Richards says for level and a nice red colour,, if burnt orange it needs changing

Ok, thanks for the replies.
I would really like to flush the gearbox oil as I want this vehicle to be a long term keeper and want to make the most of its relative low mileage.
Is this a DIY-able job? (I am handy with the spanners and have access to a four post ramp)

Simple enough even if a little messy, see here https://rangerovers.pub/topic/413-preparing-for-autobox-oilchange

Should be easy enough then- especially with a lift.
Have a look at this thread for flushing info

Smiler wrote:

Ok, thanks for the replies.
I would really like to flush the gearbox oil as I want this vehicle to be a long term keeper and want to make the most of its relative low mileage.
Is this a DIY-able job? (I am handy with the spanners and have access to a four post ramp)