rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Folks,
The Duchess is whining! It's not terrible, but it does sound like it might be expensive later on. Under power, the transmission is very quiet. When coasting, not so much. There's a whine which sounds diff like and is the same whether running straight or turning. The front diff is new/recon and the whine started well after it was replaced. Where should I be looking and is there a way to narrow down the source?
All answers gratefully received :)

I'd be looking at the rear. Easiest way of checking which end is to drop one or other proshaft off.

Hmmm, logical when you think about it! Thank's Gilbert. I'll see what I can do.

Just be aware... if you take the rear prop shaft off (and your VC isn't seized) then the hand brake WON'T work...

The hand brake drum is on the rear prop shaft before the flange, so if that's removed - then the front wheels can turn through the slip in the VC. Even if it's in Park - as the VC comes after the gearbox and all of that!

Just something to keep in mind if you have to park on a slope!

That's.... not something I would have thought of! Thanks Marty :)

and make sure you put a couple of nuts on the rear prop mounting on the parking brake drum or it'll fall off.

The drum should have a big philips head screw in it, like the brake discs... but chances are if it's been off at any point before, then the head would have been chewed and unlikely it was replaced! A couple of propshaft nuts make for a good stopper though!

My drum did have a big Philips head screw holding it on, but a blast up to 70mph to see if my howl had gone soon loosened it off with no rear propshaft attached. Another mile or so and I reckon the screw would have fallen out rapidly followed by the drum making a bid for freedom from under the car.

mummy, I'm scared :(