rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Since my eas leak is on the back burner til i get the part, i thought i'd have a look at why i might be experiencing a bit of a bumpy ride.

On LPG it's flawless. On petrol, it's a bit like mini bunny hopping. Kind of juddery. Putting your boot down a bit more fixes it but if you just let the juice trickle in it seems as though its been starved a bit.

Picked myself up a shiny fuel filter to see if that might be the cause. Turns out there's no fuel filter on the Thor engine under the chassis as its built into the fuel tank.

Is that correct?

If no filter change, any suggestions of next step? I chucked a bottle of injector cleaner in last week.

Thanks.

Injector cleaner might do the job but if it's been run mostly on LPG then chances are the petrol injectors are getting a bit gummed up. Mine runs a single point so switches to gas as soon as it's started so uses virtually no petrol (I've still got petrol in the tank bought in September last year) and until I took the injectors out and gave them a good clean it ran like a dog.

Gilbertd wrote:

Injector cleaner might do the job but if it's been run mostly on LPG then chances are the petrol injectors are getting a bit gummed up. Mine runs a single point so switches to gas as soon as it's started so uses virtually no petrol (I've still got petrol in the tank bought in September last year) and until I took the injectors out and gave them a good clean it ran like a dog.

Injectors in the dishwasher then?

No not gone that far yet. Missus did give me a bit of a funny look when the dishwasher beeped to say it had finished and she opened it to find a front fog light in there. How else am I supposed to get the tide marks off the inside of the lens when it had a crack at the top allowing it to fill up with rainwater?

injectors out and cleaned then?

Yes. made up a length of pipe so I could squirt carb cleaner through the injectors while clacking them open and closed with a couple of bits of wire and a battery. Ideally needs 3 hands but it can be done with just two.......

Gilbertd wrote:

Ideally needs 3 hands but it can be done with just two.......

Two hands from you and one from the missus? (after all it's in her interest too)

by the way, is that confirmed that theres no fuel filter and i can take it back to the shop?

Yes, no separate inline fuel filter on a Thor petrol - it's just a filter screen built into the pump itself.

Martyuk wrote:

Yes, no separate inline fuel filter on a Thor petrol - it's just a filter screen built into the pump itself.
Thanks.

Investigate the injectors it is then. Mind you, i've filled up on gas now so it's sorted. out of sight out of mind. lol

Further regarding the injectors.

I believe i need to do the rocker gaskets. There's plenty of oil escape going on and 2 came with the car anyway.

I've never really been hands on with cars. Done bits and pieces but i generally just take it to the garage. However, i am keen and capable and wondered are the rockers something i can be tackling by myself? I've read rave and it sounds reasonably easy. There is all the lpg stuff in the way though and there's no manual for that.

Since i want the gaskets doing, i figure that's a good time to be cleaning the injectors. Is that correct?

If i was to take the job on myself, how much time should i budget for?

or should i just take it to the garage? lol.

Thankyou.

If you budget a weekend that should be plenty of time for getting as far as plenum/ top manifold off (you need to do that to get to injectors), cleaning everything and reassembly. If you have to work outside that's weather dependent though.
Make sure you have all the gaskets/ seals that you'll need. The injector seals will need replacing- as a minimum the 14.5mm viton ones but as you're taking them out and cleaning maybe get a full kit like this one.
Plenum gasket maybe, but its metal and can take being re-used. I spray mine with a bit of Blue Hylomar when putting it back together.
Take lots of photos before and during disassembly, bag and tag all of your nuts and bolts.
As far as tools- just a normal socket set etc. make sure you've got a long slim 12 point 8mm for rocker cover bolts.
You'll need coolant as you're bound to lose a bit when taking off throttle body hoses etc even if you clamp them.

A weekend to get the top manifold off? As in Saturday and Sunday?????

Well, you said you'd never really been hands on with cars so I factored in lots of time!
Looking from another perspective, I can pull the top plenum off (had lots of practice recently) in 1/2 hour, injectors out and cleaned- probably a couple of hours (15 mins/ injector), re-assemble with new rocker gaskets 1 hour (inc bleeding the bleeding cooling system). I suspect others on here can do it faster :)
So, if you've done it before, it's a mornings work including tea breaks.

Also, Orangebean likes to lovingly polish everything before it goes back together :)

Pots 'n kettles Morat :)

:D