rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I received my early copy of Practical Performance Car magazine today.

Went straight to the Staff Cars section and there she is in all her glory! My submission didn't make the magazine last month and I was wondering if perhaps he didn't want my P38 in it (it's hardly a performance vehicle in the context of the magazine and the editor is not a fan) but this month he came good. I have been a bit tongue in cheek about it but hopefully I can use the magazine space to put to bed a few misconceptions over the months ahead.

It will be on the shelves from Thursday (25th), page 60/61.

Smiler.

lol, sounds like fun :) Performance is pushing it a bit I will agree!
Well done for getting your editor on side, I wonder if he'd be interested in lots of P38s being pulled to bits in a rented workshop near Swindon :)

Hmm, I don't know. The thing he will be wary of is the fact that there are already numerous magazines out there covering Land Rovers and lesser models. He has to keep the focus of the mag on track.
Having said that, there is no harm in taking pictures and writing something up just in case. :)

True that there are other Land Rover magazines, but most of them seem to shy away about posting anything P38 wise aswell!

I wonder if any of the Land Rover magazines would be interested in a bunch of people keeping P38's on the road and giving them some love, rather than pulling them apart because they can't be bothered to fix anything...

And and great on getting it in your Magazine!! At least somewhere is giving the P38 a spot (even if it is only on the odd occasion - it's better than nothing, and a good start

Martyuk wrote:

I wonder if any of the Land Rover magazines would be interested in a bunch of people keeping P38's on the road and giving them some love, rather than pulling them apart because they can't be bothered to fix anything...

That's not a bad idea. They get the odd mention in the Land Rover mags but most owners of inferior LR models tend to think of them as the unreliable, best forgotten, model. A bit of positive publicity could be good for explaining to people that there is nothing to be frightened of and they aren't complex, just a little different. Smiler, you're in the trade, how about using some of your contacts?

I'm afraid I'm not in the trade and certainly don't have any contacts other than my editor (and the pair in the distributor of the old Essex powered Scimitar). All I do is email my drivel to him each month with some photos and keep my fingers crossed that mine is good enough to go to print. It is good for keeping up momentum with the cars though.

Shame but never mind, maybe someone else has some contacts. My first wife worked for EMAP, the publishing house, and I used to have loads of contacts on numerous magazines but not these days. The P38 does very much seem to be ignored. I ordered a couple of parts for my car and a copy of a Land Rover magazine was in the parcel that arrived. I had a read through it and other than a buyers guide for the diesel L322 (which didn't mention the self destructing GM gearbox) there was no mention of Range Rovers at all.

Second appearance in two months. :)

Congrats!
I hope you're preparing the ground for your article on P38 headliner replacement :)

I shall make sure the camera batteries are charged and the memory card is wiped.

It might not be a bad idea for the mag anyway as old Jags also suffer from drooping head linings and although some may argue the practical side of it they are definitely performance cars and the kind of daft financially dangerous car that a lot of the readership would buy (a bit like the P38...).

I need to do the headlining in both my P38 and the CX ;-)

hmm i've got a PPC sub but dont recall a P38, which either means they've arrived and i've not read them because the wifes moved them, or my brain is a sieve...

gordonjcp wrote:

I need to do the headlining in both my P38 and the CX ;-)

Get yourself down to Swindon this weekend then........

Aragorn wrote:

hmm i've got a PPC sub but dont recall a P38, which either means they've arrived and i've not read them because the wifes moved them, or my brain is a sieve...

They're not big features, just my ramblings in the Staff Cars section.

yeh, but i still dont remember it. I'm guessing i've missed an issue. Need to go searching!

Wife had "tidied" june and july issues away!

They are great for that aren't they. What I always find amusing is when they tidy their own things away, forget where they've put them and then blame us for moving them! :-)