rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I break Range Rovers for a living, usally L322's, But this p38 came in and I felt sorry for it, so I kept it

I have a few problems That have got me puzzled

1. where the hell is the plug for the air box sensor, I have an air box, I have a sensor, but no plug for it ???

2. This is an LPG Vehicle. I have had LPG vehicles before, but this one is different, no Upper Cylinder Lubricant additive bottle ??? is this right

3. It needs A roof lining, This one is a bit tatty

Thanks
MadBrit

1. Err, not sure there's a sensor in the airbox. I could well be wrong....Do mean the MAF?
  2. No need for valve lube on this engine
  3. Come to summer camp! We're going to be refurbing headlinings!

Welcome :D

When you say "airbox sensor" which one do you mean?
What year is your P38? There were two types of motor (or 3 if you include the diesel, but if yours is a 4.0 it's not one of those) fitted to the P38. GEMS and Motronic/ Thor. Changeover year was around '99.
Two types of motor- two types of inlet system. GEMS had a separate air intake temp sensor in airbox, Thor incorporated it in the MAF.
So, both have a MAF, directly downstream of airbox, GEMS has two plugs, one for MAF, one for IAT, Thor has one.
LPG P38s don't need additional lubricant
Head linings- either buy used good (but they all sag eventually as the adhesive/ foam interface breaks down), pay a trimmer to re-trim it, or re-trim yourself.
AS Trim off eBay or Martrim will sell you a kit to do that.

Ahh, mine is a Thor - I'm not going mad!

The sensor is on the air box, the wiring should be a continuation from the maf, if it's gems, as for upper cylinder lubricant, it's not a standard part of an lpg conversion, it's an extra that I've looked at, but not come across any yet fitted to any of the p38s I've worked on

As said, Thor (bunch of bananas inlet manifold) has the IAT sensor built into the MAF. If you've got a sensor on the airbox but a Thor motor, someone has fitted an earlier airbox from a GEMS (big rectangular plenum with 4.0 on it). If you've got a GEMS, then the plug is on a continuation of the loom after the plug for the MAF sensor.

LR V8 doesn't need a lube when on LPG. It's down to the grade of steel used for the valves and seats. Only engines with valve seats made from something marginally harder than butter need it. It isn't needed on a pre-2005 L322 with the BMW engine either but if it isn't fitted to a later 322 with the Ford engine the valves will be shot after 10,000 miles (like any modern-ish Ford engine). Basic rule is that anything of far Eastern origin will need it, earlier design European engines won't which is why you see so many Saabs and Volvos,running LPG. When Ford offered a factory LPG option, those cars were fitted with a different cylinder head.

As said, headlining is simple enough but does need at least 2 and preferably 3 people to do it.

Glad to see you got here from the other side, welcome. I'm only a guest over there now......

thank you all for your helpful advise.

Problem with the Head Lining is its not there, so cant recover :(

If anyone has one to sell, or know of one I would be grateful

Thanks

MadBrit

Depending on where you live, trim colour etc. (Stick your car details and location in your sig), there are usually a few on the Bay. These for example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-P38-ROOF-LINING-/142385684019?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-P38-Roof-Headlining-Headliner-with-Sunroof-AWR1572LUM-/332188292094?

Details in Signature now

Thanks

Picture Of Sensor Here
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/eso92320/IMG_6194_zpsmm9emswa.jpg

Thanks for the info on LPG Upper Cylinder Lube, Dis Confuse me for a tad

Thanks

Well, unless someone's dropped a GEMS motor into your Thor, then you've got a non-Thor airbox instead! Definitely no sensors on the Thor airbox.
Can't tell you whether that's a GEMS airbox though, 'cos my GEMS doesn't have one so I've nothing to compare it with. The plug on yours does look the same as my GEMS inlet air temp sender though.
Confirm you have the bunch of bananas plenum cover and not a big rectangular box with 4.0 cast into it. As long as you have the bananas, you can forget about the missing sensor.

Looks like a GEMS airbox from what I can see, so it would appear that you've got an earlier airbox fitted with a sensor you don't need.