rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I've just got round to inspecting my rattly sub and as i suspected, the cones a little ripped. I assumed (like PA speakers) i'd just undo the 4 bolts, lift the speaker out, remove 2 wires from the back and stick the new speaker in. No, no, no! i've took the 4 bolts out but the speaker is stuck in the hole. Do you have to take the whole sub out and dismantle it in order to get them out? I expected a 5 minute job.

Thanks

If it's like mine, the pcb board is inside the sub, bolted to the magnet part of the speakers, so you need to split the box, a pita I know !

Cheers for the reply. i'll give it a look this morning.

On mine the box is just a box with the amp on the side, and the speakers are screwed and glued. Bishop Sound do a nice 6.5" woofer that fits, although the magnet is a little smaller - the ones in mine look like the door woofers.

If its a later P38, it'll have the two speakers on the top of the box, and either an amplifier inside, or a small black box on the outside (like a door amp).

If you've got a later one with the two speakers, once the screws are out from each speaker, you should be able to prise each speaker up and out - its probably got some sticky foam rings under the rim of each one that are quite well stuck in there. But they will come out.

The early ones have a single speaker mounted internally, with an amplifier on the outside.

Thanks.

Sorted this morning. Had to take disc changer out, undo 3 bolts that mount subwoofer frame to car then lift sub out, undo the back 4 screws that i couldn't get to whilst it was bolted in, split sub in half,take the single screw that holds the ampto the speaker out, then the speaker just fell out.

Easy as that. lol.

Ripped cone. Get a new one from scrappy on Tuesday.

You can use other speakers, just mount the pcb on the side and extend cables to speakers, the thing with second hand speakers if from a p38, they will be minimum 15yrs old !

Sloth wrote:

If its a later P38, it'll have the two speakers on the top of the box, and either an amplifier inside, or a small black box on the outside (like a door amp).

If you've got a later one with the two speakers, once the screws are out from each speaker, you should be able to prise each speaker up and out - its probably got some sticky foam rings under the rim of each one that are quite well stuck in there. But they will come out.

The early ones have a single speaker mounted internally, with an amplifier on the outside.

I think there's 2 types, (with twin speakers) as with mine with the HK system, the amp is mounted to the bottom of the speakers, so as said, it's a complete removal of sub , then split the casing, great idea or wot , lol

You're right - I forgot about the amplifier attaching to the speakers. Definitely a great idea, that one...

no10chris wrote:

You can use other speakers, just mount the pcb on the side and extend cables to speakers, the thing with second hand speakers if from a p38, they will be minimum 15yrs old !

They're also a fiver. lol. Not looking to upgrade the system. Just was really annoying me that i could hear a rattle. I don't have the sub turned up all the way. Just use it to round the sound. I'll probably upgrade the whole lot at some point. Until then, i just need a cheap replacement to plug the gap as it's even worse now with one speaker missing as the sub isn't sealed.

Don't do what I did and hoover around the subwoofer... the end of the hoover passed over the port on the sub while I wasn't paying attention, both speaker cones were immediately sucked downwards and (what remained of) the foams got ripped out and down, through the box and up the port into the hoover! Ha!

lol. doh!