rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Sadly, those little niggles that I'm trying to iron out just seem to keep coming.

When slowing down for traffic lights, roundabouts or speed bumps, I get judder through the steering wheel and you can feel vibration a little through the floor. Happens from about 20mph downover until stopped.

I put it down to brakes at first because I do need new pads but, the car doesn't pull. I've also just tested slowing down without applying brakes and the problem is still there. Accelerating is fine, it's just deceleration. Alas, it would appear something more expensive is afoot. Any pointers?

What about if you go into neutral as you come to a stop, does it still do it?

I have a slight uneveness as I come to a stop that still seems to be present in neutral - the only brake bits I haven't yet touched are the rear disks/pads so I'm blaming them on mine.

i'll check that tomorrow. It's also very prominent when going round a corner or roundabout with no acceleration (i.e coasting/overrun)

Sounds more like a CV joint if it is more pronounced when turning a corner.

both cv joints look pretty new. Not that it's more pronounced. It's easier to feel and dismiss the fact that its probably not brakes as i'm not using them at that point.

Put it on full lock, jack up both front wheels and try spinning a wheel while looking at the CV joints. If they are OK, then start looking at the front propshaft UJs. Certainly doesn't sound like gearbox or torque converter.

Upon initial inspection, the radius arm bushes are shot. Loads of movement. Question is, do I just replace them, or replace the whole car with poly bushes and be done with it?

I can pick up a full poly bush kit for £70. That doesn't include shock absorber bushes though.

What d'ya think?

Apparently polybushes only last a couple of months and give pretty horrible handling.

oh. Ed China spoke rather highly of them.

My '95 had polybushes fitted when I bought it 3 years ago. Still same bushes, no handling complaints. My VSE has part polybushes, again no handling complaints.
If/ when they clap out, I'll replace with original bushes, just 'cos of the reputation that polys have, but my experience doesn't back that up so far.

as with anything, cheap polybushes are shite, decent ones are decent.

Superpro are amongst the best if you can get those.

Mines got orange poly bushes on it and they are fine. Just follow the usual advice and avoid Britpart ones.

I wouldn't take anything from Ed China as a recommendation, he only needs a car to work for as long as it takes to find a punter to buy it.....

Gilbertd wrote:

I wouldn't take anything from Ed China as a recommendation, he only needs a car to work for as long as it takes to find a punter to buy it.....

lol. I think there was a wheeler dealers revisited where the car had been scrapped.

As said, avoid shit part poly bushes ( i.e. Yellow ones) .
Mine had them when I bought it, the panard bushes were shot within a year, either buy a decent set, or replace with OEM bushes

After all the stories of harsh rides I replaced my panhardbushes last winter with OEM ones. After all the old ones lasted nearly 17 years...

Biggest problem with OE is that you need a press to fit them but you don't with poly bushes. If in a hurry to get it on the road, bung some poly on it for now. If they last, great, if they don't then do the job properly in the future. In saying that, the orange poly bushes on mine have been there for at least 50,000 miles (or 2 years), are still fine and the ride and handling is no worse than any of the others I've driven so some do work.

squeak squeak squeak squeak

(if you're unlucky)

Gilbertd wrote:

Biggest problem with OE is that you need a press to fit them but you don't with poly bushes.

Correct, but you need the press anyhow to get the worn buggers out. Once out, the new ones went in easy. If you have poly's already it is easier to continue with quality bushes.

After extensive reading and video watching, I've been boring and gone for standard rubbers. I'm not convinced that poly's would be right.

Radius arm bushes and anti roll bar bushes done.

Cured the problem although I can faintly detect a wobble/vibration every now and then I wonder if there's something else that could be the root of the evil, and banjaxed bushes just highlighted it?