rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Just poking around abit under the bonnet and found a split pipe.. I chopped it and reattached it, and tried to follow it to the source, but lost it under the fire guard..

enter image description here

Cruise control vac pipe. Runs to a dump valve on brake switch.
All of yours look manky so easiest thing to do is replace them all from a length of silicon 5mm vac hose, and then find out why else your cruise doesn't work...

I was hoping you would say that as the Cruise does bugger all except light up!
Yes it's all very fragile feeling.

I'll grab some pipe tomorrow and get it done!

Are those the only pipes for the cruise?

Just replaced the full run on the Ascot. Bit of a bugger to do and it turns out I didn't need to do it all, the split in it was behind the engine, the end under the dash was fine. I could have just chopped it off where it goes through the bulkhead and put a join in.

Could I tape the new on to the end of the old and pull it all the way through?

DevonP38 wrote:

Could I tape the new on to the end of the old and pull it all the way through?

You could give it a try. It's the bit where it goes through bulkhead to brake pedal where it's a tight fit and requires gymnastics to fit to the nipple. Course there's a good chance the whole pipe is crispy and it'll just fall apart when you pull on it!
Give it a try, and if it works, buy yourself a lucky dip lottery ticket :)

I'm not built for gymnastics!

Hmpf. Mine stopped working again on the way back from Summer camp 17 one year after Gilbert fixed it at Summer camp 16.
I'm not built for gymnastics either!

It's definitely worth replacing the whole line. Mine was split where it went through the firewall. Replaced sections on either end and it just kept splitting at the joints.

5-6mm silicone hose is much easier to work with, and should in theory last a lot longer...

I used a 6mm push on pipe connector on the end of the old pipe and the new pipe with a bit of tape to help them stay together. The pipe was clipped along the bulkhead but once it was pulled out of the clips, it came out reasonably easily. Hardest one to get at was a clip right in the centre beneath the ignition coils.

Thinking about just ripping everything cruise control out of mine. I hate CC and have never even bothered to see if it works.

Give me a spare corner under the bonnet and save valuable weight! 😂

I don't like cruise control either and don't miss the fact that the ex-plod doesn't have it but as the Ascot is going to be sold on when finished, if it's fitted I want it to work (at least when the new owner drives it away).

i used 6mm fuel hose when i did mine. Never keen on long runs of largish bore silicone where vacuum is involved. It tends to go a bit soft and squidey and sucks flat.

I've never quite understood why people dont use cruise control. Its really quite annoying when your sat on the motorway, with the cruise on at 70, and end up playing yoyo with someone who cant maintain their speed properly. And fair enough if its an older or crappy car that might not have it, but when its something new and a bit flash and will almost certainly have it, why arent they using it? I use it every time i'm out in the other two cars, certainly improves fatigue and ankle ache on motorway jaunts. Also saves worrying about your speed creeping up and then getting stung by a scamera van.

It's a godsend in those endless 50mph limits with speed averaging cameras. Pretty good in France too because the autoroutes are so empty.

Aragorn wrote:

i used 6mm fuel hose when i did mine. Never keen on long runs of largish bore silicone where vacuum is involved. It tends to go a bit soft and squidey and sucks flat.

I've not had any issues with it - though it isn't the cheapy thin wall stuff. I can imagine that might not put up much fight.

Aragorn wrote:

I've never quite understood why people dont use cruise control. Its really quite annoying when your sat on the motorway, with the cruise on at 70, and end up playing yoyo with someone who cant maintain their speed properly. And fair enough if its an older or crappy car that might not have it, but when its something new and a bit flash and will almost certainly have it, why arent they using it? I use it every time i'm out in the other two cars, certainly improves fatigue and ankle ache on motorway jaunts. Also saves worrying about your speed creeping up and then getting stung by a scamera van.

I know a couple of people that won't use it because they "want to be in control of the car". One of these people won't even use auto climate control for the same reason. His car has auto climate control but he steadfastly refuses to hit the "AUTO" button and as a result is constantly adjusting the temperature and vent speed etc.

I assume they think that it means they're a better driver in some way as they are "in control".

I just don't like the feeling when cruise is being used, it's almost like the car is rolling down a hill in neutral. On a normal saloon car it's probably OK but on something heavy like the P38 the throttle being floored to attempt to maintain speed when going up a hill feels wrong to me. I'll give it a bit of extra throttle but allow it to slow down if the hill is that steep. I've also had cruise cause a car to kickdown when towing a trailer up a greasy hill after a rainstorm and the rear wheels broke traction, fishtailing at 60 mph isn't a lot of fun. For the average speed camera sections I just use the speed warning that nobody else ever seems to use.

Cruise control in any car isn't designed for use 100% of the time. It's not supposed to be used in adverse road conditions for just the reason you stated.

I don't use it in heavy rain due to the risk of aquaplaning etc.

Used in good conditions and it's perfectly fine.

If you can find a cruise control system that will keep you rolling at 4kph, then that would be great for driving in this city. Me? I let the brake off.

Even on the highway it's difficult to maintain a constant speed due to big holes, stray buses and a myriad of other mobile/static (that should be mobile!) obstacles.

On top of that, I don't like it, never have done. Simple

RutlandRover wrote:

I know a couple of people that won't use it because they "want to be in control of the car". One of these people won't even use auto climate control for the same reason. His car has auto climate control but he steadfastly refuses to hit the "AUTO" button and as a result is constantly adjusting the temperature and vent speed etc.

I assume they think that it means they're a better driver in some way as they are "in control".

Yeh, but if you need to accelerate, then do so, and similarly if you need to brake, do so. The controls still there, its just helping you maintain the setpoint. If they're that worried about control, do they refuse to drive automatic transmissions?

The climate control is interesting, i tend to turn Auto off in the A4, and direct the airflow at the windscreen and footwell vents. However in the A4, the automatic fan control part stays on even though you've turned "auto" off. So it'll still ramp the fan up as the engine reaches temperature, and shut it back once the cabin is warm enough. If you then adjust the fan speed, your adjustment is applied as an offset to the automatic speed.

I did the same thing on the P38 when i got it but havent paid too much attention to how its operating.