rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hi all.
After replacing my water pump and refilling the cooling system with new coolant over the weekend one of my heater hoses has decided to spring a leak. The leak is coming from just above the hose clip. I have enquired about a replacement and have been quoted around £26 bloody expensive hose. Anybody know if there is a cheaper option.
Cheers
Rob.

You can fit a 19mm bore hose on with persuasion, but then you putting pressure on the pipes to o-rings,, can you not trim it slightly and move it and the clip, to keep you mobile for now, they're pushed on a fair way,, I know there expensive for a short hose, as just done mine after adapting lpg pipe work,,

I was thinking along the lines of not giving it to much welly because of the heater o rings. I just wondered if there was a cheaper option that's all. I will cut the old hose off the stubs instead of just yanking on it that way it shouldn't disturb the o rings. £26 for a bit of hose about 12" long seems expensive.
Rob.

Ahh, but it's got two bends in it, although, as OB says, you can fit a straight length, it doesn't actually need the two bends they just make it look neater. I always slit the hoses lengthways with a Stanley knife to get them off the heater stubs so as not to put too much strain on the O rings. For putting them on I bought a tube of silicone grease from Maplin (as that is what Mr Land Rover says you must use on ABS sensors) and found that it is often used as a lubricant for rubber (according to the book of Wiki, that's what's used on condoms even). A smear of that on the inside of the hose and it slips on easily, even a 19mm bore hose on the heater stubs and that big lump of steel on the inlet manifold at the other end.

Choices are limited in terms of manufacturers for these (PCH118830). Shitpart are cheap, LR are expensive.
Allmakes do one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-RANGE-ROVER-P38-V8-HEATER-RETURN-HOSE-1998-2002-PCH118830-/331931721944? Their stuff is usually OK

Gilbertd wrote:

Ahh, but it's got two bends in it, although, as OB says, you can fit a straight length, it doesn't actually need the two bends they just make it look neater. I always slit the hoses lengthways with a Stanley knife to get them off the heater stubs so as not to put too much strain on the O rings. For putting them on I bought a tube of silicone grease from Maplin (as that is what Mr Land Rover says you must use on ABS sensors) and found that it is often used as a lubricant for rubber (according to the book of Wiki, that's what's used on condoms even). A smear of that on the inside of the hose and it slips on easily, even a 19mm bore hose on the heater stubs and that big lump of steel on the inlet manifold at the other end.

T'wasn't me that said it- it was Chris :)
I'd argue against silicon grease for lubing up coolant hoses, but only on the sketchy ground of the fact that OAT coolants are described as "silicate free" and if they've gone to the trouble of taking them out, why put them back in again?
Sticking with the condom theme though, maybe a water based love lube like KY Jelly would be the stuff to use? Never personally tested though :)

Not on anything as big as 19mm girth, anyway 😆

I use red rubber grease. Mainly 'cos I bought a tin of Castrol about 40 years ago and it seem a shame not to use it up!

Silicone oils are good but possibly a bit too slippery in some places. Had some bad experiences with (other folks!) inappropriate use. Its the very devil to get rid of it completely when its got in the wrong places.

Clive

Clive603 wrote:

I use red rubber grease. Mainly 'cos I bought a tin of Castrol about 40 years ago and it seem a shame not to use it up!

Silicone oils are good but possibly a bit too slippery in some places. Had some bad experiences with (other folks!) inappropriate use. Its the very devil to get rid of it completely when its got in the wrong places.

Clive

I could be wrong, but there may be way too much information there?

I could be wrong, but there may be way too much information there?

And here was me about to mention that the best stuff I've found for putting tiny rubber O-rings into the valve block and similar jobs was very fine pure silicone oil, which is expensive in a big bottle - but can be had relatively cheaply in 100ml quantities as latex clothing polish!

and how would you know that?

Laundry day at Gordon's is quite squeaky...

Morat wrote:

Laundry day at Gordon's is quite squeaky...

No it isn't 'cos he uses and recommends very fine pure silicone oil
enter image description here

Gilbertd wrote:

and how would you know that?

Going out with a goth.

All done. Easy job and I didn't even need to go to Ann Summers for any lubricant 😂