rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Had my insurance renewal through for the 02 come through from Adrian Flux. As usual, they quoted an increase on last years of around £100- a premium of £270 ish fully comp.
Also as usual I phoned them up to argue the toss, as I have done every year for the past 8 years, expecting to be able to talk them down to £160 for the same policy, with the same company. Armed myself with a quick Meerkat search to see what the market was charging.
Very surprised when the Flux call-centre woman wasn't interested in doing the usual dance, even when I said I'd had quotes from Admiral, Diamond and Heritage (I think) from £169 to £ 175. Told me point blank that their quote was the best value on the market and they couldn't do any better. I asked whether that would apply to the 95 when renewal comes up next Feb ( same company, same cost) and was told it would.
So, telling her that I'd be terminating my relationship with Flux, off to Admiral on the phone.
Long story short- multi car policy for both cars, black one starting now for £145.60, blue one payable next Feb for £134.11. Same excesses, protected NCB etc.
Happy (ish) days!

Not sure if anyone else has tried it but mustard.co.uk seems to give lower quotes that any of the other comparison sites. The best quote I got for a Classic policy for my Maserati last year was £147 a year but mustard quoted me £83. Dina's daughter recently bought a car, a Nissan Micra but the 1.6 Sport model (as it was a nice colour and looked cute, not the sort of criteria we would use to buy a car but there you go) and the best quote on goCompare was over 3 grand for a 22 year old learner. Mustard gave the same cover, with a company that you've heard of (Hastings) for £830.

Ta Gilbertd. Off to try them now for my daughter as hers is up soon. Only 19 but has a couple of years NCB under her belt plus full licence.

Got my renewal last week, had increased 400 quid, went on comparethemeerkat and behold same price as last year, with the same company, so I cancelled auto renewal, then restarted ,, that’s insurance companies for ya

Thank for the ref Gilbertd- managed to get her fully comp for £545.08 on the crappy Daewoo- Hastings Direct.
Third party only quotes were on average £200 more than that. WTF?
Her renewal was with Admiral for £648.35 originally...

Glad to be able to help. Not sure how they can be cheaper but they do seen to be across the board. I even checked my bike insurance and although that was only a couple of quid cheaper, it was still cheaper than I am paying. Being an old codger, the bike is insured with Saga!

Orangebean wrote:

Third party only quotes were on average £200 more than that. WTF?

I noticed the same thing so Googled to see why
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/press-releases/motor-myth-busted-fully-comp-cheaper-than-third-party-only/

Down side is that other half's (I always use her phone number and a throwaway email addy) just been phoned by another broker who said that her details have been passed by Mustard because they couldn't help!

My theory on the TPFT thing is that in their eyes only sub-prime people want a TP quote and, being poor, have more accidents.
Back in the day "Act Only" insurance was the one to have and it really was the cheapest

£232 from Direct Line for me, albeit limited mileage. Fourth year now and up maybe £30 over that time so not too bad. Direct Line renewals seem to come back around the 3 rd or 4 th cheapest quote from comparison sites. My "can't be bothered to switch" limit is around £30. Got the comparison sites set-up to E-Mail me when things are due so thats quick'n easy. Life is too short to futz around looking for the very best deal and verifying there are no catches buried in the small print.

Thanks for the head up on Saga bike insurance. Maybe I'll give them a try now Asure have pulled out and dumped me on Devitt. Devitt and Hastings not being my favourites as they've dropped me and folk I know seriously in the kitty litter in the past. Trouble with Saga is they don't have delete on their E-Mail. Lord knows what they'd make of my near unique Norton tho'.

Clive

Interesting... Mine comes up for renewal early January.

Currently with Admiral, and paying around £470/yr fully comp for mine...
Looking to switch, as they max out their NCB discount at 5 years (or at least did) - and coming up this will be the 6th year I've insured with them, so hence not expecting any form of additional discount - so going to shop around a bit more...

I'll definitely be checking out Mustard to see what they throw up..

Don't forget, you're a youngster Marty, whereas I'm geriatric :)
As I said at top, I've now gone to Admiral. They wanted proof of my 20 years plus no-claims- not easy to do as most places stop counting after 9 years, so I inundated them with 20 years worth of consecutive renewal notices, which shut them up. If that number was so important to them I wonder if they're just trying it on with you by stopping counting at 5?
£470 seems a lot. Obviously one of the few benefits of being old is cheap insurance then!
Edit- they didn't even ask for my LPG cert, and didn't load me for my stainless exhaust, both declared as modifications.

Martyuk wrote:

Interesting... Mine comes up for renewal early January.

Currently with Admiral, and paying around £470/yr fully comp for mine...
Looking to switch, as they max out their NCB discount at 5 years (or at least did) - and coming up this will be the 6th year I've insured with them, so hence not expecting any form of additional discount - so going to shop around a bit more...

I'll definitely be checking out Mustard to see what they throw up..

It can be worth giving Admiral a call a few days before the policy is due for renewal - I've had to do so to alter things (removing cars from cover etc, swapping vehicles/milages around etc) - When i've done so they usually look if they can apply any discount at the same time, last couple mines ended up lower than the renewal quote was.

Orangebean wrote:

Don't forget, you're a youngster Marty, whereas I'm geriatric :)
As I said at top, I've now gone to Admiral. They wanted proof of my 20 years plus no-claims- not easy to do as most places stop counting after 9 years, so I inundated them with 20 years worth of consecutive renewal notices, which shut them up. If that number was so important to them I wonder if they're just trying it on with you by stopping counting at 5?
£470 seems a lot. Obviously one of the few benefits of being old is cheap insurance then!
Edit- they didn't even ask for my LPG cert, and didn't load me for my stainless exhaust, both declared as modifications.

And yes, they still max out their discount at 5 years, but would guess they would still have to have evidence in the event you change in the future to pass onto someone else at renewal. Though they would normally just need details of who you've transferred from...

Its also worth being aware that some of Admiral's call centre staff do not know what they are talking about with LPG - they will ask for any assortment of random bits of paperwork to be sent in or just say we don't cover lpg cars. I'd recommend hanging up in this case and calling back, hopefully to speak to someone with more of a clue!

My biggest bugbear is modifications. Most insurers won't touch a car that has been modded. Most refuse point blank.
The only one that I found was Adrian Flux. They are actually a broker so they found an underwriter they use that would quote.
I now do less than 8000 miles per annum so hoping the cost won't go up too much next time round.

Direct Line insured my lowered BMW E30. Things may have changed since...

**[BrianH]

Its also worth being aware that some of Admiral's call centre staff do not know what they are talking about with LPG - they will ask for any assortment of random bits of paperwork to be sent in or just say we don't cover lpg cars. I'd recommend hanging up in this case and calling back, hopefully to speak to someone with more of a clue!

That's good advice that would be equally applicable with a lot of insurance companies regards LPG converted vehicles. Customers regularly tell me that someone at their insurers told them they didn't cover LPG vehicles / their car needs to be on UKLPG's database / they need to provide a copy of 'The green safety cert' (LPGA cert which LPGA now UKLPG stopped issuing years ago). Quite often in these cases the same or a different member of staff at the same insurers will eventually settle for a receipt from whomever converted the vehicle / the vehicle has passed an MOT since it was converted / the V5 shows LPG as a fuel type. But some such as Saga, Admiral, Hastings do very specifically want the vehicle to be on UKLPG's database. Never heard of Adrian Flux asking for anything.

Adrian Flux demanded the LPG cert every year I renewed the policy through them with the same blinking insurance company! Every year I told them that they had the copy, it didn't expire or change, but I still had to re-send the original scan that I sent when I first insured the car.
Admiral CC operative just had to get his Manager's approval. No question about whether the cars were on the UKLPG database (they're not), but both cars are classed as Dual Fuel on the V5s, not that they asked that either.
Just goes to show that the requirements seem to be on the whim of whoevers setting up the policy.

I know I'm going back a bit, but my UK '38 - with LPG - was insured via my little local high street broker for a good few years. Gave up trawling the net for cheaper in the end. They always came with a better quote each year. Same when I bought my 17 year-old son an early 2.5 LR90, cheapest by far for fully comp (3rd party was dearer).

And they made you a brew and bikkies at renewal time!

GeorgeB wrote:

I know I'm going back a bit, but my UK '38 - with LPG - was insured via my little local high street broker for a good few years. Gave up trawling the net for cheaper in the end. They always came with a better quote each year. Same when I bought my 17 year-old son an early 2.5 LR90, cheapest by far for fully comp (3rd party was dearer).

And they made you a brew and bikkies at renewal time!

Most of those type of brokers have long since disappeared thanks to the likes of comparethemeerkat/Moneysupermarket.com etc. Theres a local branch of Swinton where i live, most of the others have disappeared due to people shopping only on price alone (and finding out later why the likes of Swiftcover.com are cheap when it comes to needing them)