rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

As the VSE picked up an advisory at MOT a couple of weeks ago for the exhaust being "generally heavily corroded, but structurally sound and not perforated" together with the fact that while I've been hammering around underneath doing the suspension more of the exhaust has turned to powder and dropped in my eyes, reluctantly something had to be done, so I bought one of these off the Bay

enter image description here

I'm not expecting much- it's bound to require some metal bashing to fit, probably going to be boy-racer loud and be made of stainless steel tinfoil, but at £250 it's not much more than the mild steel ones.

Scrolling down the page expecting to find a damning report on how bad it is, Morat's post actually made me laugh out loud......

I'll be interested to see what the verdict is. My centre box is a Euro Car Parts special, just over a year old and seems to be holding up quite well although the Y pipe and rear sections are beginning to look a bit tired. ECP don't list the Y pipe but do a matching rear section that is pretty cheap as long as you use one of their x% off offers (35% this weekend).

Started fitting it today. It looks as shiny as the picture. Neat welds. Not tinfoil metal, but about half the weight of the genuine LR system that I took off (bloody hell- theyre heavy!).
Components all seem to fit together well. Flange joints match LR profiles nicely, hanger bars are in the right place and orientation and sliding joints, well, slide.
Only have system offered up so far. The only obvious bit of fettling required will be one of the hanger bars, which looks like it'll punch a hole in the petrol tank if I don't cut it back.
So far, so good. Tomorrow will tell.

I think we need a video of the roaring goodness :)

I don't want roaring!
It'll be an unwanted side effect I think. In a perfect world it would be as quiet as the factory system.

I know, but I haven't heard any aftermarket systems that are as quiet as OEM. Not yet, anyway.

Mine with the hi flow cats and stainless all through is quiet in the cab, but all my neighbours comment on how it sounds ( the norm is, sounds nice) when I pull away. I’m like you OB, don’t want fart cans on the back, just a nice v8 burble, which apparently I have, fingers crossed yours sounds nice as well

Well, that was a bit of a tussle...
The Italians (I'm guessing it's a Direnza as it looks identical) make a very pretty exhaust that all fits together nicely. Only problem is that the car they built the prototype on must have been in an accident and bent like a lozenge.
Before bashing it around and cutting/ bending mount points it would have melted one of the back bags, worn a hole in the petrol tank and burned through the boot floor to the lpg tank.
Anyway, it's on there now (apart from one rubber, which needs a bit more bending on the bar), drove down the workshop track in Access to check that nothing was going to get pinched or hit anything it shouldn't, back up again in Normal, still good, and just for laughs, down again in Extended.
Sounds OK actually. As Chris said, not loud inside but a throaty V8 rumble outside.
Tomorrow, more exhaust stuff, but on the blue one this time.

I once fitted one on my Classic, all Identical to standard just stainless. It had a much deeper sound, not louder just a deep rumble like a classic boat. I loved it.

I'll stick a video up later today for Morat (and anyone else contemplating buying one). Just have to do some heat wrap at the point that it passes the air bag. It has about 6" air gap anyway, but that stainless is an efficient radiator and I don't want the bag cooking if sitting in traffic.
EDITED- much later. Now it's settled it's a 3" air gap- too close for comfort.

I'd be quite interested to hear it - at some point I will have to replace my entire exhaust and it looks quite good.

Could I trouble you for a picture of it from the rear, if its not visible in the video?

Sloth wrote:

Could I trouble you for a picture of it from the rear, if its not visible in the video?

No probs Sloth. I'll just need to tweak it a little more at the back- at the moment the tail pipes can either be level, or protrude by the same amount, but not at the same time!
I'm trying to get them right without cutting the bumper at all. I think it's possible

Current rear end...
Back tyres look like slicks in that shot- there's actually 9mm of tread on them. Strange

Not bad looking!

I agree- looks very similar to factory. No large drainpipes poking out the back either

Looks very nice. Just need to give the rest of the car a polish to match 😂
Rob.

Looking good. I can't stand those massive tailpipe you see on Corsas, those are pretty neat!

Robbo1 wrote:

Looks very nice. Just need to give the rest of the car a polish to match 😂
Rob.

I suspect the car won't see a polish until next spring now Rob. The occasional bucket of water to wash the worst of the cr@p off maybe.
Bloody thing was mint and gleaming- one trip across Dartmoor to North Devon (by road!) and it came back looking like that. I could have wept.
Black is not a great colour for a daily driver through the winter :(
Before shiny tailpipes:

This is an advantage of silver... it can hide months worth of abuse. About the only thing it doesn't is bird shite!

I'd care more about keeping mine clean externally if the lacquer weren't already peeling so badly in places. Next year's problem...